450 Align T-rex 450, buy which version?

Andreas Nilsson

Hello all!

Inspired by Tony's videos and some other pages I have basically made up my mind to buy an Align T-rex 450 kit :)
The videos have a couple of years on them so I guess the model names might have changed slightly. I say that because I couldn't find the one in Tony's video on Aligns website.
The closest one I found was this one: 亞拓家電網路購物 - T-REX 450 PRO DFC高級套è£Â版 KX015087

That do look like what I'm after, but I'd like to have someone with better insights verify that. But what I can say is that I want one with DFC that has the same standard(or better) as the v2 in tony's video

Bonus question:
All the super combo packages I've seen from align come with the 3gx gyro. However, Align seems to promote one called gpro which I understood will fit this model but is a later gyro model.
If it do work with the 450 what are the benefits? Besides form what the marketing machine tells me ;)

Tony

Staff member
Yup, the 450 Pro DFC is the upgraded version of what I showed in that video. It's a very good helicopter.

As for the GPro, I have never had one in my hands so I"m not sure how good it is. But it has to be better than the 3GX which everyone is seeming to have an issue with. You can get on ebay and get these kits without the gyro and just put your own on there. The AR7200BX is great, but quite large and you have to put it on top of the helicopter. Same with teh Ikon, GREAT gyro, but again, quite large. Teh 3GX does fit down in the frame which makes for a very clean install. But it will have it's little quirks.

Andreas Nilsson

Great input!
So you'd recommend going for the package without gyro and choosing one of the ones you mentioned? Any particular you'd opt in for?
Also, I was thinking if and how big of an impact the gyro placement has?
My intuition tells me having it centered below the main rotor ought to have some benefits of the other common position.

Tony

Staff member
If you want to try the 3GX, go for it. We can show you exactly what to do to it to get it stable. But it can be hit and miss sometimes. As for what gyro I suggest other than the 3GX, If you have a Spektrum or JR Tx, I would get the AR7200BX. You can get them used pretty cheap and they are a great gyro. The Ikon is the next level up and is a GREAT gyro. But, you have to run a satellite with it as it doesn't have a built in Rx like the 7200BX.

As for placement, it really doesn't matter. Unless you are like me that is and want to keep the wires to a minimum. Then, the 3GX is the only way to go lol.

Slobberdog

Because of the placement of the USB connector on the Ikon you can't put it on top of the heli as you can not get the cable on to the gyro, it would have to go on the bottom if it will fit, the AR7200bx will fit on the top, Tony had his there,

As for the heli, the new design Align 450L dominator, in 3s format is a great helicopter and in 6s format it's a beast of a heli, the 6s being slightly better as it runs bigger blades and therefore will be a bit more stable in the air as well as being very power full,

Tony

Staff member
Wow, how did I forget about the 450L... Yeah, that is a 360 size helicopter that is slightly larger than a 450 size helicopter (I know, it doesn't make sense, but trust me lol). Great helicopter!

Andreas Nilsson

Ah! Some great feedback guys. I like that you touched on the Dominator model, since I have been thinking about that one as well. When you say 3s and 6s is that comparable with 300-series CP and 600-series? Or what does the 3 and 6 actually stand for? (sorry if some questions are a bit to newbie)

Slobberdog

It's the number of cells the battery runs,

The 3s is 11.1v and the 6s is 22.2v the 6s will have more power and can run the 360 mm blades the 3s is running 325 mm blades like the pro DFC but has the new style and better layout within the frames and battery layout,

Tony

Staff member
3s and 6s stand for the number of cells in a battery. Each cell in a LiPo is 3.7 volts. So a 3s would be 11.1 volts and a 6s would be 22.2 volts. Of course, when each cell is fully charged they reach 4.2 volts so a 3s would be 12.6 and a 6s would be 25.2.

The more voltage, the less amp draw you have. If you already have some 3s 2200's laying around, then get the 3s version. But, if you need to buy batteries anyway, they are more expensive, but get the 6s version. LOTS of power!

Tony

Staff member
Dammit, lost that one hahaha. But I have more info. Kev was slacking to beat me hahaha.

Slobberdog

Only the 6s version is a true 360 machine, the 3s version only benefit over the pro DFC is the stretched boom, and the new motor battery config

- - - Updated - - -

Dammit, lost that one hahaha. But I have more info. Kev was slacking to beat me hahaha.

Lol........

Andreas Nilsson

I'll promise to post dirty RC pics when I get it :D So now I can type the question in the correct thread: Is there any 6s battery that you suggest?

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like there is no combo package of dominator, only the super combo or kit only :/

murankar

Staff member
I will only put my name on two brands, GensAce and Pulse. They are both about the same price and are high quality packs.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

wolfman76

Yup, the 450 Pro DFC is the upgraded version of what I showed in that video. It's a very good helicopter.

As for the GPro, I have never had one in my hands so I"m not sure how good it is. But it has to be better than the 3GX which everyone is seeming to have an issue with. You can get on ebay and get these kits without the gyro and just put your own on there. The AR7200BX is great, but quite large and you have to put it on top of the helicopter. Same with teh Ikon, GREAT gyro, but again, quite large. Teh 3GX does fit down in the frame which makes for a very clean install. But it will have it's little quirks.

You can actually put the ikon lower in the frame of the heli it is actually a choice in the software.. I was gonna put my mshbrain in the 500 in the bottom rear put the wires on my cyclic servos weren't long enough. ..

cml001

Haven't tried the 450L, but I can tell u the the 450pro dfc is awesome! Love it. I have a ar7200 on it, just behind the anti rotation guide.. On it actually.. It would fit in the frame. There are two different mounting locations, but then access the pots or do maintaince it troubling.. As with any gyro.

Top Bottom