Prop Anyone with RC B-17 building experience?

jpmando

Hello all,

I just finished my first build, learned a lot, enjoyed the accomplishment.

I have been fascinated with the B-17 Flying Fortress for years. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best build kit as a flyer? Any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RandyDSok

That would certainly be a cool build to watch the progress of... but it isn't one to take on until you are an experienced builder and pilot.

Dual motor or engine aircraft are finicky to get flying at best... a quad motor/engine would be even more so to get each one tuned identically to the others. I will mention that while trying to achieve an identical tune for them, you will at least get an audible clue when you hear their sound start to synchronize and get into sync. Just go to an air show with older WW II airplanes and listen to two of them flying in formation... you can actually hear the motors when they are in sync with each other. They will harmonize together.

I know of maybe one pilot that I've even known that scratch built his own dual motor airplane and I've known a lot of pilots. I believe the one he built was a B-25 if I'm recalling it correctly.

In fact, the WW II fighters are generally not recommended for beginners since they are tricky to land and tend to nose over when an pilot attempts it without the experience to perform them. It is possible to do it... but you must practice over and over using something like a good PC simulator to be able to do it without crashing. I'm not talking about the normal, any aircraft you fly will crash type of stuff... because that is a thing also... the odds for a crash is much higher with this type and it isn't even as complex as a multi-motor/engine airplane to fly.

World-Models-P-51_2011-09-14_On1_wm.jpg

RandyDSok

SWEEEEET Randy.

I really enjoyed flying that one until I dumb thumbed it into the ground. I was coming in for a landing and a mild gust started a roll that should have been an easy correction... only my thumbs went the wrong way and continued the roll into the ground. Every time I've checked The World Model's website ( that was the brand ) it's been out of stock... probably just bad timing but haven't replaced it yet.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
The P51 has always been my favorite warbird. About 15 years ago had the honor of meeting a member of the WW2 Tuskegee Airman "Red Tails".

Top Bottom