Athlon Scope...

RandyDSok

You can use the MS Account BUT if you do... it won't let you make it a local account and would require an internet connection from time to time to verify that you own it. In addition, MS Accounts also loose some privacy that you would have if you didn't use one ( for the Windows login portion ). You can still log into your MS Account through your browser to download and install your MS Office... and if you use OneDrive or the MS Store... those also allow you to use your MS Account if you wish without requiring your actual Windows to be logged into it.

In addition, there is a chance that some day in the future, if Microsoft so chooses ( without asking you )... could block you installing software from other companies. In short, the MS Account gives them that control but they, at the moment, do not restrict you from installing other companies software. There are also other issues but those are the more important ones that other techs warn about.

Rob Lancaster

Ok Rob here on the key board tonight.
We're back on the MinisForum and all seems good. I downloaded my RF 9 last night. Today we finished the last 22H2 update. I'm getting ready to install the SSD I have from the old computer.

Could you to look at this screen shot. Is this one of those times that MS wants us to sign-in? Do we look secured? (NO Norton installed).... Thanks buddy!

Attachments

• Windows Security.png
    Windows Security.png
    264.4 KB · Views: 3

RandyDSok

Ok Rob here on the key board tonight.
We're back on the MinisForum and all seems good. I downloaded my RF 9 last night. Today we finished the last 22H2 update. I'm getting ready to install the SSD I have from the old computer.

Could you to look at this screen shot. Is this one of those times that MS wants us to sign-in? Do we look secured? (NO Norton installed).... Thanks buddy!

Just click the Dismiss option... and it is another method MS is using to get users to sign in with an MS account so they can track and control things... currently mostly track for marketing purposes.

Rob Lancaster

Just click the Dismiss option... and it is another method MS is using to get users to sign in with an MS account so they can track and control things... currently mostly track for marketing purposes.

Ok, were good so far on this end.
Another question. The old SSD from the old computer has all kine DATA on it. (windows 10 format) Will there be a conflict getting the Data off of it ? Because the drive is already used???

I just test fit it, and she fits great!

Keep it coming buddy...........

RandyDSok

There is no such thing as a Windows 10 format. There are however formats that the various versions of Windows supports reading and writing by default, those are FAT32, NTFS, exFAT and EXT2/2/4. Both Win10 and Win11 support those. You should have no problem ( other than possible access permissions which I already covered before ) getting to the data from that drive. Of course programs themselves should be installed in the current OS and don't try to run them from the old drive.

Rob Lancaster

HA! Yeah, there's that lingo failure again, lol... Windows format, wow how's that one? he , he , heee.... Oh hey, anyone want some pineapple?
Stay tuned.........

Rob Lancaster

Hi Randy and other dudes,

Thomas here,

All is well. The SSD from the old HP computer was successfully installed in the new MinisForum computer and the data seems to be intact. It took a vary long time for for the drive, now assigned "Drive D:", to be seen anywhere on the computer ( i.e. Device Manager, This PC and even Disk Management ). I expected it to be seen relatively quickly and take much longer when the User Folder was accessed for the first time. Or at least that's the way I understood it from your March 21st post. I'm quite dyslexic so getting things backwards is not uncommon.

Although I have the driver software CD for my printer, I now don't, as you know, have a CD Drive on the new computer. Also, Cannon no longer supports my printer for an online download for some idiotic and or greedy reason. Now, I was hoping to recover it from the old drive's driver folder in the System 32 folder. It was then that I realized that I couldn't even identify which one or ones were the printer driver or drivers... or whatever. After all, it's not like the .sys files say "Cannon Pixma MP480 Printer". I can't remember what I did but somehow I got the printer to show-up in the Device Manager... for a short time anyway. :dunno: While I had it there, I tried doing a driver update by having the computer search for the driver in the old drive. The first search was the Driver Folder only and the second was the entire System 32 Folder with that sub-folder or whatever box checked. No go. Actually, when I had the computer search the entire System 32 Folder, it it updated something so the printer icon or picture showed up in This PC as a USB Drive E:. Needless to say the printer did not operate so I went into Disk Management and uninstalled it.

I'd really like to figure this one out because if the driver is intact on the old drive, it should have all the updates as well since the time it was put on the that drive years ago. You know, the updates from the Onesafe Driver Manager Pro before things went horribly wrong... yikes! If all else fails, I guess I could get an external CD Drive and install the original driver software that came with the printer. However, that may not work also if it's not up to date. But then, I might be able to find updates online but not the entire driver from scratch. But who knows, that may also carry risks.

Any ideas?

RandyDSok

The drive detection and adding an additional drive letter to that drive should have been pretty dang quick. Turn off the computer and double check your connections are fully seated etc.

Accessing user files does take a long time the first time you do it. As far as Windows ( or any OS that has user permissions ) is concerned... Rob from Computer A is not Rob from Computer B... so each and every file permission in the user folder and sub-folder permissions needs to be updated to add the new "Rob" to it's list.

Maybe I'm biased here but... 99% of the driver utility programs I've seen on my clients computers were either malicious, adware or spyware. Almost the same can be said of PDF programs and similar utils that are not mainstream brands. Any software you may think of as possibly useful can fall into this trap, so close research of the program you may be considering is warranted. I do a generic search about the program name and include terms such as "virus, spyware, adware" ( in separate searchs, not all together ) and scan through the first couple of page results to see if anything has been reported.

Driver software packages, even the simplest ones are more than just a "*.sys" file. They also must include the "*.INF" file which describes what files the printer uses, the printer name and ID numbers, what version of Windows the driver is made to work with etc... not to mention possible language specific ones.

You will likely have to download the Win8.1 version of the drivers for your computer which can be found here Canon Support for PIXMA MP480 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

The other software utils they have do support newer versions of Windows of which there are Win11 versions... but the printer is so old that the drivers have not been updated like the software has. So first, if you use them... download the included util software... then get the Win8.1 drivers and install it. They probably didn't digitally "sign" those drivers back then either... which means you'll need to look up on Google on how to force an older driver into Windows. If you are lucky and they were signed, it may complain about them but should install.

Digitally signing drivers has been a thing for a number of years so Windows can verify and validate that the files included have not been tampered with. Because companies do get hacked and could have their keys they use to digitally sign a file stolen... it isn't ever recommended to download drivers from 3rd party sites.

Side rant... It's amazing on how much work hackers will do in order that they infect other peoples computers... just to get out of working at a real job.

For consumer grade printer replacements ( if needed at some point )... I don't use enough printers to recommend a specific make/model. I do however see that Canon and Epson are typically the brands mentioned in reviews for better photo quality printers but their ink is costly... and Brother is mentioned as the better workhorse printers with ink costs being more reasonable. Hp printers are usually well made enough but the company has become so greedy that they keep trying to block users from using 3rd party inks by just not working unless you install their ink... and they are also making users pay subscriptions for the inks cartridges they do sell instead of just a one time purchase when they need replacing. These tactics make me NEVER recommend any HP product printer or otherwise.

Rob Lancaster

Ok, were doing good now. The new computer and SSD installation seems to be working ok. I ordered a new 3.0 USB hub to replace the old 2.0 unit. Oh Tom figured out the Outlook problem after much work. Now we don't need that weak webmail stuff. HURRAY!!!
Thanks for all the help buddy.

RandyDSok

Good to hear you are sorted out. I don't recall a conversation about Outlook ( but there has been a lot of them now ) but I do recall talking a little about MS Office and such. If it's also working, then it's not an issue ( me not remembering it ).

Heliman450

It's been great to keep in touch with the progression on this. The maturity of content is legendary and a key element of rc-help.com. Keep it going guys! :hdbng:

Rob Lancaster

Good to hear you are sorted out. I don't recall a conversation about Outlook ( but there has been a lot of them now ) but I do recall talking a little about MS Office and such. If it's also working, then it's not an issue ( me not remembering it ).

Oh yeah, that was just one of the other long time things that was eating our wagon. No OUTLOOK EMAIL The stock webmail is very weak. But with you and Tom, BOOM, it's better now.
Again, many thanks from the middle of the biggest puddle in the world.
It's been great to keep in touch with the progression on this. The maturity of content is legendary and a key element of rc-help.com. Keep it going guys! :hdbng:

Thank you, yup this site is awesome in many ways for sure. Always answers to questions that we have. Like I say, you, me, we have a good crew! Nice. :arms:

Top Bottom