Setups Derek's 1.3ghz FPV Experience

Stambo

Does that "B" point to home base? That's pretty cool.

Yup but only if you are moving. It uses GPS only, no compass.
It has it's limitations, the altitude is above sea level so you have to remember take off altitude.
For less than $40 I can live with that.

Derek

My 1.3ghz FPV setup showed up today. I have a 1.3ghz 400mw transmitter with a 12 channel receiver (I'll only be able to use two channels), the camera, and a set of 1.3ghz circular polarized Blue Beam antennas. There are a couple of various wire harnesses, too. Now I need to order a couple of batteries and I need to get a viewing monitor. Fatsharks will be ordered in June when I get my vacation check from work.

Derek

So Derek, what are you going to put it on?

I'm not sure, actually. I'll be ordering parts for a tri copter pretty soon. Maybe put the fpv on it. I also have 3 planes that would be great candidates for fpv. One plane is a 49 inch flying wing. Another plane is a scratch build that I modeled after the EPP FPV, from Hobby King. The third plane is my 60 inch wingspan twin boom pusher. The flying wing is the only one that is closest to being done. I just need to order some bigger batteries for it. Probably a set of 3S 4000mah lipos. The scratch built plane that I modeled after the EPP FPV needs the tail section redone, needs landing gear made up, and all electronics ordered. The twin boom pusher just needs a new motor and ESC. I have a motor and ESC for it but I took them off and put them on my Blue Cub STOL.

However, before I put any of my FPV gear on a plane, I'm going to make a mock-up "dummy" pod that will weigh as much as the on-board camera, transmitter, wiring, and battery. I'll use that "dummy" pod on the first couple of flights to adjust the CG and make sure that the plane will fly well. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be a while before I can do any of this because of the weather. It's still quite cold and snow EVERYWHERE! We got another 3 inches of snow last night. ugh!

Although, like I mentioned earlier, I do plan on putting the vtx and camera on a pod (of some sort) and attaching to the roof of my Dad's rc truck. I don't expect great range from the rc truck but it will be a good testing platform.

Stambo

Truck is the first thing I would work on, gives your brain a chance to see how FPV works with a lot less risk.
And it's fun until you hit something, obviously with FPV you don't drive it like you stole it. :)
The difference between watching on a screen and putting on the goggles is huge, so when you get the goggles I suggest going back to the truck for a while.
And initially with the goggles, sit down. It will save you from falling down. :)
I am sure you will enjoy this, Jordan probably will too. :)

Derek

For sure! I'm just afraid that Jordan will like it so much that I'll have to buy two sets of Fatsharks, lol.

Derek

My wife makes an awesome spotter. I love having her around. Although, I'm not very good at sharing, lol. :goodevil:

sarconastic

To clarify what Lee said, diversity is more than just two antennas. It is two or more entire receivers hooked together by a clever piece of electronics that determines which one has the strongest signal and seamlessly swapping to strongest one, without you even noticing a difference.

Using different antennas as Lee suggests gives you the ability to have a short range one for 360 degree cover close in and a directional one for longer range, or two the same with some separation to allow better reception when flying around and close to objects. You can mix and match depending on the circumstances.

Just a clarification about diversity, Both scenarios are right. You can have a diversity receiver with EITHER 1 receiver and 2 antennas and a built in selection circuit, or you can have 2 independent receivers each tied to its own single antennae. The latter is obviously the best route but unless you clarify it with the manufacturer you do not know what your getting. It is obviously much cheaper to use only once receiver, which is why you will see diversity printed on an off-brand product that is half the price of a known dual receiver model. I have been using Diversity wireless devices on Stage for years, and you have to know what your getting before you order it. On stage interference is almost guaranteed and the diversity dual radio receivers work 10 times better.

Good luck

Woody

Derek

Thanks guys! After further discussion with my friend, that I bought my 1.3ghz system from, I simply don't need the diversity. That being the case, I'm just not going to worry about it for now. I need some better weather to get here so that I can maiden my 3 potential FPV platforms and see which one I want to put the gear on. If I can get the parts ordered soon enough, I'll have a 4th plane to maiden, as well, lol.

Just too much building and not enough "part ordering", lol

Stambo

Hopefully with 1.3 gear you will not need diversity as it has the punch to go through obstacles more readily.
5.8 on the other hand, which is what I use, needs all the help it can get as it is more likely to be bombarded with all sorts of interference and has more trouble getting through obstacles.
Lets see some pictures and video. :)

FPV snow skidder sounds good to me. :)

Derek

WOO HOO!!! Fatsharks have been ordered. They might be here on Saturday....I doubt it, but maybe.

Derek

I am super stoked! I met a guy, last year, that use to live in the area. I actually met him on RCGroups. He offered to meet up with me and let me where his Fatsharks while he flew around. I was immediately hooked. Absolutely awesome! He moved, late last year, so I haven't seen him since but I knew that I had to get my own FPV setup.

Once my Fatsharks get here, I'll get my FPV plane out and all set up and I'll do a rundown of what I have.

Derek

Oh yeah!!! Getting excited now!!! Just got an email notification that my Fatsharks have been shipped. That kinda makes me believe that they won't be here tomorrow but I'm sure they'll be here by Monday. Either way is no big deal, my fpv plane isn't ready anyway....but they are on their way to me :chickendance:

Derek

Ok...I have my FPV plane, my video system, my Fatsharks, and a 72mhz Futaba transmitter/receiver.

However, I have a question....what else is new?

I originally bought the 1.3ghz video system with intentions and understanding that I could fly my 1.3ghz video system around my flying buddies while they are using 2.4ghz radio control. Now I'm hearing that the 1.3ghz frequency is so close to the middle of the 2.4ghz frequency and it could cause me video issues. Is this true?

Will the use of a 2.4ghz radio control mess up my 1.3ghz video system? It's not really a money issue here but I have spent a great deal of time and effort on my FPV plane and it really is a "one of a kind". Don't get me wrong here, I fully understand that this plane will crash....some day, and that's fine. I just don't want to see it go down for any other reason that "operator error" on my part.

Maybe I should build another FPV plane, identical to the plane that I have no, but will less extravagance. Nonetheless, I'm still hoping for some clarification.

Derek

Ok, so this low pass filter would screw to my vtx and then my antenna would screw to the top of the LPF.....is that about right?

Top Bottom