Setups Differences between 2.4 and 5 ghz

murankar

Staff member
I know this has been discussed before but I am about to go postal on what i think is an uneducated moron and want my facts before I do so. I know this has nothing to do with fpv but the theory is the same.

Situation: I am looking at cable modems with dual band wifi. The modem has 2.4 and 5 ghz at the same time and I really like this feature.
The question is (just so I know): Is the range of the 5 ghz band affected by obstructions?

I think its the 2.4 that will "plow" through obstructions and still have decent range and the 5 ghz will be greatly affected by obstructions.

let me know if I am off base here, please.

Tony

Staff member
2.4, you are correct. It will go through walls much easier. 5 can carry more data, but has a shorter range. ,

murankar

Staff member
Just wanted to make sure. I remember someone stating that if an FPV system was going to be blocked by trees that the 5 ghz band would not be ideal.

Thank you Tony for the quick help.

Derek

True!

A lot of FPV pilots are using 2.4ghz because it can go around/through obstacles (buildings, trees, etc) and they are getting substantial range. 5.8ghz won't get a much range but the video quality is excellent. Just don't put something in the way of the signal. I've heard that even a person walking between the transmitter and receiver will cause a video drop out.

Tasajara

I fly with 5.8 now, line of sight I never get any loss of signal if I go behind trees I will get some flickers. I have went out a mile with a 250mw Fatshark Vtx good clean signal.
I had 1.3 but the video quality sucked compared to 5.8 but I could fly behind a little more stuff.
But on the other hand even though you can fly behind stuff that don't mean you will have control of the model you could have radio drop outs.

callsign4223

Staff member
You are dead on. Got beat the moron over the head with some facts.

The only thing to keep in mind is that on the newer routers, they have better antenna's and are pushing stronger signals so a new router might get just as good signal on 5 as an old one 2.4 because of the higher power and better antenna's.

murankar

Staff member
I am getting the Netgear C3700-100nas modem router. I have found one locally and after reading a few reviews I found that it will be a good fit for my location. I don't think I have anything that will run on 5 Ghz at the moment but have that option later on.

As for the review I read the guy was complaining of signal loss on the 5Ghz band and never mentioned anything about the qualities of the band. He made it sound like it was the routers fault. Later in his review he had stated that he changed out his equipment and got better reception on that band. My thought on this is that any time you can split the modem from the router your going to be better off. Your signals will be stronger due to less interference from the modems internal noise and the manufactures ability to add to the system. I could be wrong but it makes logical sense since 2.4 Ghz is affected by external noise. Anyhow I will post in a different post my findings on this router after I use it for a while.

here is the review if your interested in finding out what was written.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2I0ZB...9HR&newContentNum=21&store=pc#Mx1FAFVIMKESJWE

Last edited:
Top Bottom