450 Helicopter general

Rico

I just had the second flight with my new 470, and first flight with 450 pro v2, after a dust off and alot of new parts, and maiden flight with the 700E, but all of the helis are all over the place and alot of up and down in hoover, thy are all set at +5 pitch at 60% to 65% throttle, what settings do i have to mess with to straightening that out ???

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Rico if I was you I would go through your setup process all over again. As for the +/- pitch, I would start off with +10/-10 but that's just me.

RandyDSok

I'd actually suggest you start with practicing with a good RC simulator before attempting to fly what has to be the most difficult to fly without experience. It will more than pay for itself in fewer crashes in real life if you practice it like is recommended.

ExCCHP

+5 pitch seems really low. Generally the heli will need approx +3 just to lift off. Agree that a 10° pitch would be a better option.
You say 60 to 65% throttle. Is that on the same IU FM? If so that maybe your problem. A flat TC is best so the cyclic only controls the pitch.

Rico

here is a video from that day, im not sure if you can see it, it is on facebook :)
the wind where about 3 to 5 meters per second.

RandyDSok

That isn't very high winds and if consistent would probably help keep your heli pointing into the direction of the wind. If on the other hand it's gusting and constantly changing ( in speed or directions ), then that would mean the lift is also changing.

Rico

I'd actually suggest you start with practicing with a good RC simulator before attempting to fly what has to be the most difficult to fly without experience. It will more than pay for itself in fewer crashes in real life if you practice it like is recommended.
Hey there Randy, do you have a link for a simulator i can use for a spektrum TX ???

Rico

That isn't very high winds and if consistent would probably help keep your heli pointing into the direction of the wind. If on the other hand it's gusting and constantly changing ( in speed or directions ), then that would mean the lift is also changing.
that sounds logical, i had the wind in my back, but im thinking it might have some thing to do with my pitch curve, i vill try to upload a picture of that.

Rico

This is my curve for my 450 pro v2, thy are allmost the same on the other 2

Attachments

• PITCH 450 ny.jpg
    PITCH 450 ny.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 4

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Rico my curves for my Heli's is:
1) 46
2) 48
3) 50
4) 75
5) 100
The simulator is the way to go :).
In your video, it looks to me like you have no problem with taking off but a slow reaction to keep the heli in the air. Up and down motion. I still think you should try +10/-10 pitch on the blade. Just my :2c:

Rico

Hey Rico my curves for my Heli's is:
1) 46
2) 48
3) 50
4) 75
5) 100
The simulator is the way to go :).
In your video, it looks to me like you have no problem with taking off but a slow reaction to keep the heli in the air. Up and down motion. I still think you should try +10/-10 pitch on the blade. Just my :2c:
I will try the +10 / -10, the reason i have 42% 45% ect is to start up with -2 pitch, acording to align manual, but maybe your curve is abit more straight than mine.
the heli lift off fine, but when in the air, i have to compesate up and down all the time, or it will raise high up or land hard again, i hope you understand what i mean :)
where can i find a good smulator for download, i tryed google, but that finds all kind of other things :)

RandyDSok

Hey there Randy, do you have a link for a simulator i can use for a spektrum TX ???

I'll let you find the source since what I see in the USA won't apply to where you live. I'm also going to give some opinions on the transmitter stuff but they are just my take on that part and will ultimately be up to what you'd like to do.

I use RealFlight as my sim software. It's one of the top rated ones out there and additional models are available from the community. This comes as two versions, software only and a version that has the software with their own specialized Interlink controller ( think transmitter but it isn't, it's just made to work like one ). Both of them, you download the software from the Steam library to your PC... so you need the Steam software client installed on your PC.

I got the one with the Interlink controller even though I own a Futaba transmitter. Later, I bought a USB dongle to connect to my Futaba and it works fine but is just setup as a game/joystick in Windows. Spectrum also makes a similar USB dongle for their radios. Once I connected my dongle, I then had to configure / calibrate it to my PC. When it got all over and done with... the Interlink controller was easier to use and has special buttons just for certain operations in the software... like reset, choosing new models etc. After a short time... I quit using my own radio and just used the Interlink controller instead just for the ease of use.

It isn't important which type of transmitter you learn on. What is important is the muscle memory you gain while training. The only down side to using the Interlink is that you are tied to a cable.... but the ease of use more than makes up for it in my opinion. Just know that no sim software is going to exactly simulate flying in real life either. It will teach you the muscle memory you will need which is the main point of training on it. I also recommend to train on several different models since that will teach you how to react in different situations.

RandyDSok

that sounds logical, i had the wind in my back, but im thinking it might have some thing to do with my pitch curve, i vill try to upload a picture of that.

A heli acts similar to a weather vane ( wind vane, not sure what you may call them there )... point the nose into the wind instead of putting the wind at your back. I'd also recommend, during the initial training... to stand behind the heli ( tail side ) so your left and right are in the same orientation as the models left/right. When you first start training with the heli facing you, turn your body around so your back is towards the model and look over your shoulder. This also keeps the left / right orientation correct "in your head". This probably works well for the times your model is pointing to the left or right as well... keep your body in the same orientation. At some point it will begin to not matter to you which way your body is oriented but at first it really helps with the hand eye coordination.

So to begin your training... start with just keeping a hover in place same height and same position, nose of the heli pointing away from you. The heli will move around, but the point is to keep it in place. What height you practice at matters as well. You want to get it high enough so the ground effect of the blades are not affecting it as much but you don't want it too high at first. Next practice with the heli nose towards you and repeat the same practice as before... then the left and right directions after that. Once you get that down and not before... then add in slowly moving in a square, then a circle. Don't get ahead of yourself. Don't move to the next step until you can do each without making moves you were not intending.

Rico

A heli acts similar to a weather vane ( wind vane, not sure what you may call them there )... point the nose into the wind instead of putting the wind at your back. I'd also recommend, during the initial training... to stand behind the heli ( tail side ) so your left and right are in the same orientation as the models left/right. When you first start training with the heli facing you, turn your body around so your back is towards the model and look over your shoulder. This also keeps the left / right orientation correct "in your head". This probably works well for the times your model is pointing to the left or right as well... keep your body in the same orientation. At some point it will begin to not matter to you which way your body is oriented but at first it really helps with the hand eye coordination.

So to begin your training... start with just keeping a hover in place same height and same position, nose of the heli pointing away from you. The heli will move around, but the point is to keep it in place. What height you practice at matters as well. You want to get it high enough so the ground effect of the blades are not affecting it as much but you don't want it too high at first. Next practice with the heli nose towards you and repeat the same practice as before... then the left and right directions after that. Once you get that down and not before... then add in slowly moving in a square, then a circle. Don't get ahead of yourself. Don't move to the next step until you can do each without making moves you were not intending.
Super i fix it all, steam account, simulator, old WFLY with cabel i had layin around, all setup and working, all the helli's are acting as thy did on the field, so i just have to practice alot :)

thx for the help to your all

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
I try to practice on the Real Flight simulator at least 3x a week. And no more than 15 minutes a time, this allows me to work on muscle/memory. My flights on the flying site are from 3-5 minutes at a time and that works just fine for me.

Rico

I try to practice on the Real Flight simulator at least 3x a week. And no more than 15 minutes a time, this allows me to work on muscle/memory. My flights on the flying site are from 3-5 minutes at a time and that works just fine for me.
That sounds like a good idea, i played alot with it yesterday first the setup and then trying to fly, but the helli wont lift off ground, it is like there aint any collective pitch on it, and i start to loose konsentration

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi Rico, two questions: what kind of ESC are you using? and are you using a digital pitch gage? My reason for asking is, have found that a 60 amp is well suited for a 470 size heli and using a digital gage is more accurate in fine turning the pitch. Both D.O.G. and ExCCHP have brought some interesting points to consider. Fran11784 another member of the forum who lives about 10 minutes away schooled me on these areas. And scratch building a 450 size Sikorsky Crane with 360mm blades, these areas mention have left a favorable impression. Just my thoughts, still learning even at 75 years old:peaceful:. Best regards, Jim

Top Bottom