Hello From Hucknall, Uk

Tony Mitchell

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but not to RC. Started back in '82 with a Keil Kraft Phoenix glider, using 27MHz back then. Since those early years haven't done much in the way of flying models, more on Flight Sim on the computer.
I was always keen on helis, so last year bought a CopterX Black Angel 450 kit. Built it, flew it and got instantly hooked. I found a second hand Trex 470L Dominator on a dealer website, so bought that, followed closely by the Trex 450SE V2, then Trex 500L Dominator. All second hand so built and tested, so just had to practice flying them.
Decided that I wanted to build a good one for myself, so just bought the Trex 800 Pro DFC. Had a few probs with getting the ESC to co-operate, hence finding and posting on this site. Great help from some great folks. Thanks so much all of you. It's likely going to be some time before I get the chance to take her to the club flying field and put her through her paces, so it's going to be fine fettling in my back garden to get everything right.

Pic of my fleet below...
My fleet 3.jpg

Smoggie

It sounds like you might get chance to fly at your club field from tomorrow due to the easing of lockdown rules in England:banana::banana::banana: Good luck with the maiden flight.

Frustratingly the local government in Scotland (who always like to do things differently to England) have decided that despite really low infection rates in most of Scotland, we all have to stay in full lockdown... To say I'm very unhappy with this decision would be putting it mildly. If I was to say how I truly feel the forum's profanity filter would go into melt down:mad:

Tony Mitchell

Hopefully the club chairman will get back to me soon. As a prospective member of a heli club, I have to go through an assessment phase. When I first met the chap, we met at the flying field and he explained the club rules and procedures at the field. The people there, those that I met, are really friendly and really keen to help newbies. When I expressed interest in joining, I was a raw beginner, so a long way to go. However, bad weather (all the rain making the field into a swamp, the site was unusable. Weather not really suitable since and now we have this lockdown.
In the meantime, I've learned to set up my expanding fleet of helis. They told me that the bigger ones were easier to handle than the small ones, so I gradually moved up the sizes, having bought second hand Trex 450, 750 and then 500. My goal was the 800, so I bit the bullet and bought the combo kit. All built and set up. Have been hovering it in my back garden, but that's so frustrating. At least with the others, I was able before the lockdown, to take them out to some local wasteland near the end of what was the Hucknall aerodrome. Have learned to hover and some low level (about 15 feet) circuits, all with the training skids on. Still don't feel confident enough to fly properly without them, despite having flown the 450 in my back garden without the training skids. I made a giant set of training skids for the 800, just playing safe until I'm a little more confident.
Now that the restrictions have been relaxed, I'll hopefully be able to get back to my wasteland patch. Trouble is, the 800 is so heavy, the trek from where I have to leave my car is a little daunting. Fingers crossed...

Top Bottom