General Hole is too big

RandyDSok

When using a bit of "southern engineering" ... it's pretty much up to the builder what option they take. I'd probably try to glue some EPO foam into the spot with a foam safe glue and then redrill it to the proper size. UNLESS the hole is in some type of plastic or wood ( like balsa perhaps ), then I'd try to match the material as close as I could.

RandyDSok

Guess I should have mentioned it is plastic. Thanks!

Ok... then there may be something you may want to be careful with. Most plastic glues work by melting the plastic back together. If this is anywhere close to the EPO foam of the airplane, it could dissolve the foam. You can probably use an epoxy glue to fix it and if the hole isn't way too large, you probably won't need any additional plastic to fill just the epoxy. Ruff up the plastic so the epoxy has something to grip too... and then just put enough on to make your hole smaller. Once the epoxy has cured, you should be able to drill it back out to the right size. I like using JB Weld epoxy personally for something like this, it's harder when set than a lot of typical hobby epoxies I've used in the past.

The only issue you may see after fixing it... is that this is in an area that will have a lot of stresses on it. So be very careful with your flights since you don't want a horizontal or vertical control surface leaving the aircraft while in flight.

The entertainment value of a in flight failure doesn't out weight even the cost of a cheapy foamy airplane ( not to mention the potential danger of it hitting someone or something of value ). That is sort of a half joke, half serious statement... so do be careful.

Top Bottom