I Crashed Nightmare!

Tony

Staff member
It had to happen sooner or later. With as many problems as this helicopter has given me, I'm surprised that it took this long. But, it happened.

So what happened? Well, I took off and was trying to get some altitude so that I could get some decent video of the area around me. But, as I was going out, I caught a glitch that spun the tail around. With the dark canopy, and the dark trees, I lost all orentation. I fought with it for about 10 seconds, couldn't get it back, so when it was about 5' off the ground, I just cut the throttle. The pics tell the rest of the story.

The camera that you see was on the helicopter when it crashed. And, it took me forever to find it lol. But, the video quality sucks so bad, that I'm not even going to edit it. I have got to find a way to secure these so they don't vibrate.

Nightmare Crash 007.jpgNightmare Crash 006.jpgNightmare Crash 005.jpgNightmare Crash 004.jpgNightmare Crash 003.jpgNightmare Crash 002.jpgNightmare Crash 001.jpg

Nightmare Crash 007.jpg

Nightmare Crash 006.jpg

Nightmare Crash 005.jpg

Nightmare Crash 004.jpg

Nightmare Crash 003.jpg

Nightmare Crash 002.jpg

Nightmare Crash 001.jpg

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
What? Have you been taking flying lessons from me? That sounds like something I'd do! Hopefully you have the parts to get it fixed. It doesn't look too serious :facepalm:

Tony

Staff member
Well, I have the feathering shaft and main shaft, but will have to order the skids and the pieces that came off of the head. It's going to have to hang on the wall for a while. Who knows, I may just break down and purchase a trex 250 and get rid of this "Nightmare".....

Tony

Staff member
I give it crap, but it actually flys pretty good. It has it's moments (like when it just falls out of the sky hahaha). We will just have to wait and see. The kit that I want is about $350. But, it comes with everything.

Tony

Staff member
well, that is for everything. The best servos, the best gyro, the best motor (that I already have), the best ESC, everything. It's worth it if you price everything out.

Lee

I have spoken to a few Trex 250 owners. They give the same opinion of there real helis as we do with the clone ones. Nightmare to get flying properly, Tail has too much play etc....
I will not get another 250 but i may in the future try a Gaui 200. Seen them in action and crashed pretty hard they dont damage easily. No feather shaft. Just screws to replace if bent.

crashbash

Unfortunately the Align one still breaks if you plant it, and parts are somewhat more expensive, however I have never tried a clone yet so I cannot comment on them, the trick is to keep it airborne, although its easier said than done.

Regards Rob

Tony

Staff member
Parts breaking in a crash is not the reason I'm thinking about upgrading. It's all the parts that I had to replace to get it in the air that is wanting me to upgrade lol. It doesn't matter what heli it is, you crash it, and you are probably going to be replacing parts lol. I will be rebuilding this one just cause it has a history.

Tony

Staff member
Update on Nightmare. I had thought that I ordered feathering shafts for him, but I only ordered main shafts. So, if/when I make an order, I will be getting skids, feathering shafts, flybars, and some smaller servos lol. The MG90S servos, although they fit, are just too long. I can't get the canopy to fit correctly with them on there. I think digital is the way to go now hehe.

Nightmare will rise again. It was flying pretty good before the crash. I am pretty sure that because I'm running the OrangeRx, it's just sitting too close to the motor/ESC and it's causing the small glitch. Not a huge deal seeing as the crash is one of the cheapest that I have had lol.

Top Bottom