450 Internal resistance.

Rob Lancaster

Hi guys, hey I haven't flow my Trex 450 in a long time. With that said I wanted to cycle my battery packs just using the charger/discharger.
I noticed that the packs aren't balancing. Some of the cells only come up to 4.19v and some go to 4.22v........ The internal resistance in the 80/90 mOhms ..

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
If in doubt...throw it out OR this can happen to you
batch_img_2028-jpg.24884

Geena

Staff member
some of the cells are over charging and the IRs are 80-90? It`s time for some new batteries. Like Ivan said, you are risking a lipo fire and you definitely don`t want that.

Rob Lancaster

some of the cells are over charging and the IRs are 80-90? It`s time for some new batteries. Like Ivan said, you are risking a lipo fire and you definitely don`t want that.

Hi Geena, long time no see.
I forget, what should the IRs be? I'm starting to believe that my old cheepo charger ain't doing me any favors.

And DOG, what the devil happened there? Were you paralleling up packs? Oh man, fire control crews to the charging station!

Geena

Staff member
IRs should be as low as possible. most of my batteries are somewhere around 1.8 and 2.5. If your charger is not doing a proper balance charge, it might be time to consider a better charger. The ISDT chargers are very good, and reasonably priced. A few of the guys I fly with are using them, and they really like them I`m seriously considering getting a couple of them when it`s time to replace my charger. Here is the link to the ones my friends have.

Geena

Staff member
Parallel charging is fine, as long as you do it properly. Don`t parallel charge batteries with different mAh capacity, and don`t charge at excessively high amps, and let the batteries cool for a bit after each flight before charging again. Also, always balance charge your lipos.

One of the biggest reasons for high IRs, is leaving the batteries at full charge for several days, or even weeks. The airplane guys at our club are notorious for doing that, and they wonder why all of their batteries look like little smokies, and have no power...lol.

Another way to destroy your batteries is over discharging them. You should never discharge them more than 80%.

Rob Lancaster

Just an old and worn battery that I thought I can get a few flights more...NOT!

Absolutely :).
Wow, ok , hint received................................................................
IRs should be as low as possible. most of my batteries are somewhere around 1.8 and 2.5. If your charger is not doing a proper balance charge, it might be time to consider a better charger. The ISDT chargers are very good, and reasonably priced. A few of the guys I fly with are using them, and they really like them I`m seriously considering getting a couple of them when it`s time to replace my charger. Here is the link to the ones my friends have.

Yeah that looks nice.
How do you folks measure your IR?
Can this charger measure the internal IR per cell? You know what I'm drive'n at right?

Oh and, 1.8 and 2.5 mOhms is WAY lower than I was thinking. Yeah, need to go deeper into it now. LOL!!
The metering thing I was using to measure the IR was this little thing. Turnigy 7 in 1 Mega Meter. Wow sounds serious hah,,,......

Attachments

• Charger power Supply.JPG
    Charger power Supply.JPG
    426.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    514.9 KB · Views: 2

Geena

Staff member
Wow, ok , hint received................................................................

Yeah that looks nice.
How do you folks measure your IR?
Can this charger measure the internal IR per cell? You know what I'm drive'n at right?

Oh and, 1.8 and 2.5 mOhms is WAY lower than I was thinking. Yeah, need to go deeper into it now. LOL!!
The metering thing I was using to measure the IR was this little thing. Turnigy 7 in 1 Mega Meter. Wow sounds serious hah,,,......
Yes, most good chargers have the ability to measure the IRs.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
My personal rule is max time per flight on a battery is 5 minutes. Never use that battery again for the remainder of the day. Maybe it's just me but after reading and seeing batteries catch fire, that was enough to get my attention.:chairshot::duh:. Always store mine in a cool place when not in use and inspect them prior before installing into aircraft. Safety first and trust my gut feeling.

murankar

Staff member
Every charger that has the ability to monitor IR does it differently. Mine does it on the charge cycle. With that said the best info you'll get is going to be relative to your charger As long as your using the same device your data should be good enough. There are battery testers out there. Problem is the data you get will be relative to that tester.

Rob Lancaster

Every charger that has the ability to monitor IR does it differently. Mine does it on the charge cycle. With that said the best info you'll get is going to be relative to your charger As long as your using the same device your data should be good enough. There are battery testers out there. Problem is the data you get will be relative to that tester.

You read my mind. I was going to ask about that next.
Thanks.....................

I finished installing the new ESC on the 450. I programmed it and all I need to do now is setup the gov.............. Should I wait and use a fresh battery to do this procedure?

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
This is just my opinion, since you've replace with a new ESC I would use a new battery. Thus ensuring a good match, but if you have a decent one available that will also work:peaceful:.

Rob Lancaster

This is just my opinion, since you've replace with a new ESC I would use a new battery. Thus ensuring a good match, but if you have a decent one available that will also work:peaceful:.

Thanks James, I was hoping someone would say that. Yeah right now, I'm better suited to to continue with what I have. There's always (reset to default} and start over if needed. In theory. lol..........

RandyDSok

Thanks James, I was hoping someone would say that. Yeah right now, I'm better suited to to continue with what I have. There's always (reset to default} and start over if needed. In theory. lol..........

I don't think I've seen anyone test or mention that the quality of a battery affects the settings of an ESC or governor is in anyway tied to those items functions. If they are not tied to the function, and we don't know that without some type of testing to prove it.... then it shouldn't matter on the condition of the battery as long as it is putting out the proper values ( voltage/amps etc ).

So if it doesn't matter, then it's just a question of safety at that point. As long as you feel it's safe to use a battery, it should be fine. It is only when you have a question of the safety of using a battery that you may not want to use it. At what IR amount is a battery considered "unsafe" to use any more? I'd also throw in how balanced are the cells of the battery as to another criteria to be concerned about a battery. So you feel it's still safe to use the battery in question?

RandyDSok

That's why I threw the old batteries out, took them to Lowes, and ended up purchasing new ones. Trying to guest and get some extra flight time out of the battery that you are not sure of...DON'T do it. Why take the chance :nono:

Just to be clear in no uncertain terms... I wouldn't use a questionable battery either.

I was simply trying to answer if a battery isn't perfect ( and safety not an issue ) if it would affect setting up an ESC or governor and I don't think it would but also had not seen any testing that would support my assumption.

Rob Lancaster

So you feel it's still safe to use the battery in question?

I think most of the confusion came from my initial IR readings. I want to see what they'd be when the battery is being charged. (Need a new charger for that). The little 7 way test thing-e I was using, tests the individual cells and only when static, (just sitting there)... I'll bet the reading will be different when charging. The 4 batteries I have are not puffed and seem to charge up ok with a accuracy of around 2 to 3 hundredths of a volt between cells.

Now the small packs I have for my Blade 130S are the ones that will be discharged and jettisoned....... I don't fly the blade anymore because I'm tired of replacing it's cheep servos. I need a replacement of the same size. One of those OMP jobs look interesting because it has beefer looking servos, and I don't need a dang smart phone to program it. Some people only have PCs you know. Shame on you Align!!

Rob Lancaster

Hey all, while I was researching chargers I noticed this little thing. ISDT BAP4 BattAir Plugin 3-4S

First of all, what is the advantage of using this device? Doesn't the charger tell you all you need to know about the battery?

Next, does it work with a PC?

And if I decided to get it, do you need one for every battery?

Top Bottom