Jolly's HK-450 Heli Editions

Well after being grounded for a short while due to couple missing teeth on Main Gear, and NO Stock available to get replacements, I have finally got some more spars now.

I was at the LHS a week ago and the guy told me one of the Local Heli flyers was getting rid of all his HK450 stuff, as now he fly's only his TRex Raptor 50, so I asked him to find out what he had and how much.

The next day he phoned and told me he had quite allot of gear which included 1 x HK450 fully assembled and all running gear except RX, 1 x HK450 Built up Frame assembled, and 3x HK450 spare complete kits, along with a couple of pairs Fibreglass Yellow/Black 325mm Main Blades , and a couple of New HK401B gyro,s and few extra tail assemblies and head assembly ect,

So after some bargaining on price I got the lot for $100,

Here are some pics of what I got.

HK-450 1x Fully Built and 1x Frame Build
DSCF0818HK-450BB.jpg

The running gear on the above HK450 is 3 x MPX-Nano S servos for cyclic and Futaba S3153 Tail servo, Turnigy Plush 25Amp ESC, Turnigy Areodrive E500 4000KV Motor

DSCF0820HK-450BB.jpg

DSCF0821HK-450BB.jpg

DSCF0824HK-450BB.jpg

DSCF0825HK-450BB.jpg

3 x HK450 Kits
DSCF0819HK-450BB.jpg

HK401B Gyro
DSCF0823HK-450BB.jpg

My Fleet as Now with the 2 x HK450's and My HK 450GT on the end (right)
DSCF0826HK-450BB.jpg

So will now replace the main Gear in my 450GT and also install the HK401B Gyro too, as I hate the Turnigy TR-302 gyro, just drifts way too much for my liking

Lee

Good deal Jolly. Surprised you dont like the 302 gyro. I have one on my first 450GT and its solid as a rock.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Dang Jolly, that was a awesome deal. It seems helicopter parts are hard to come by and you really have to dig to find what you need.

Well done Jolly..plenty of bingles there waiting to happen...

Good deal Jolly. Surprised you dont like the 302 gyro. I have one on my first 450GT and its solid as a rock.

You ought to be arrested for stealing, Jolly!!!! We'll get our favorite private eye on the case :yikes:

Dang Jolly, that was a awesome deal. It seems helicopter parts are hard to come by and you really have to dig to find what you need.

Thanks Guys , LOL yeah that was a great deal, better than waiting on parts that aren't in stock , or hard to find

Lee the 302Gyro does Hold tail but there is still always a drift, well on this one anyway,
I have heard that doing a Mod similar to what they do on the 401B gyro's with some hot glue does seem to help.
I will give the 401B a go and see if its any better, just hate having to fight the 302 for stable flying/hovering ect,
we will see.

Tony

Staff member
Just about all cheap gyros will have a drift. It's more of a weather vein effect than anything.

Lee

The only time i got drift was when i started going inverted. Now i have top notch gyros on all my helis :D

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Very cool deal Jolly! Seems you have plenty of spares now :chuckles: And for that price ... you must have MAD negotiating skills :biggrin1:

I have done the Repairs that were needed maintenance wise, all that was need was to replace the Main Gear set as missing couple of teeth, and also I wanted to change the gyro to the HK 401B, and that has also bee done along with the Hot Glue Mod Fix for the HK401B.

Video Overview of my HK 450GT Repairs

Also when I was going about my replacing the Gyro, I was going to do the Hot Glue Mod, so as you might know to do this you have to pull the gyro apart to do this,

Well luckily I did as even though this is a NEW HK 401B I found a Problem, and it could have cause allot more stress if I hadnt found it now.
The Problem was that the little Dip Switches on the Gyro PCB ,one set of terminal legs were not even soldered to PCB, as you will see in the frist Video Below

This second Video shows how I Soldered the Terminal legs back on in readiness for the Hot Glue Mod

Gyro all finished and Hot Glue Mod

Now that this Gyro is all fixed working and tested it will be going on the Build I,m doing Now my HK-450BB which is almost completed just need to solder some terminals
(make an adapter for the Blue EC3 terminal to XT60 Terminals) as I have XT60 Turnigy Lipo's and this Turnigy Plush ESC has the Blue EC3.

Which will be great to have if I get any other batteries that have EC3 anyway, and I do have another 40 Amp ESC,(brand not known its Yellow) doesnt have any terminals on so will Solder the 3.5mm bullets for it and XT60 as well.

So Stay Tuned for another Jolly,s Builds coming!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith

I hot glued mine for the tricopter... I did it the quick way... Filled the whole thing with hot glue... Works fine except the glue ran onto the dip switches... Have to remember not to use digital servos with them...
I've started using the Mini Mems... Nice and small and seem to work well... And only $10 each... I got 6 of them...

Ghostflyer1

Jolly
Just a heads up, one crash and that 401b will be toast. Atleast mine was, I liked the gy48v better and its the same price. However I dont dare put either on the larger birds im playing with.

I hot glued mine for the tricopter... I did it the quick way... Filled the whole thing with hot glue... Works fine except the glue ran onto the dip switches... Have to remember not to use digital servos with them...
I've started using the Mini Mems... Nice and small and seem to work well... And only $10 each... I got 6 of them...

I didnt totally give mine the Hot glue Bath, just the main parts that needed it and dab on the side to hold in place

Now the TIP to doing the Bath Filled method is,,, You put a line of glue around the sides of PCB first let cool then fill the rest with Hot Glue that way it doesnt seep
under the PCB and go onto switches or pots ect

Jolly
Just a heads up, one crash and that 401b will be toast. Atleast mine was, I liked the gy48v better and its the same price. However I dont dare put either on the larger birds im playing with.

Hopefully I wont crash that bad to wreck it , and the Hot Glue mod helps prevent damage to insides, I might even move to under the boom.
Also yeah I agree I dont think for a lager Heli, I would use a much better gyro,,,,,of course that is if I could even afford a larger Heli.

Update on the HK450BB* (Basic Build)

After the Total rebuild of this Heli, I was ready for the maiden hover test, Hovered and checked tracking ok with 3 lipo's then on the forth lipo

was at just about lift of headspead ,,, and all of a sudden without any stick inputs the Heli Hard banked left and flew straight into Fence all by itself.

So it was back to the Bench, the damage was bent Flybar ,, Rotor Blade Holder snapped,bent Feathering shaft, Broken FB Cage arm.

The problem was a servo the Aileron one went spastic and would all of a sudden after a short while just sitting there idle go into full motion then go up -down rapidly all on its own,

So now have again rebuilt the Heli with 3 x HXT-900 servo;s and replaced all the other parts.

Take 2 - Second Test Flight

This time I found the Heli just as it was lifting off want to all of a sudden spin , now this wasnt caused by the usual suspects such as gyro rev or gyro setting gain ect, back on the bench found that the Belt Tail drive cog that get driven by the larger main lower cog had slipped upward, when you pushed it back down
you would have full thrust on the Tail rotor as you speed up the cog would again move upward and not mesh with the main Tail Drive gear again.

So its back on the bench again for another swap out of the the Drive cog assembly and bearing housings.

Post pics up later have Camera batteries charging!

Last edited:
Top Bottom