My styrofoam glider converted to RC

Derek

I saw a video on YouTube...a guy had bought a $10 styrofoam "toss" glider and converted it to RC. Being the tinker-er that I am, I wanted to try and I was greatly rewarded. Now, my RC flying experience only started in October of 2011 with coaxial heli's. I made my first scratchbuild RC plane in March 2012. I am very proud of this styrofoam glider converted to RC. It's not the prettiest, but it flies wonderfully.

Check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Oh how I miss Indiana lol. That thing is a great flier right there. Keep up the great work :thumgsup:

Derek

Thanks Tony! It's very unfortunate that my glider met the ground in a less than graceful way the other day.....ok, ok, ok....it simply crashed, lol. After a post-crash inspection, one of my solder joints from the ESC to the motor wasn't very good and had come loose causing the whole system to lose power and gravity took over the controls....all the electronics are fine, but the impact smashed the nose beyond repair. So....i bought another glider and i'm working on it right now while the storm is blowing through. I hope to have my new glider in the air tomorrow....right along side my Trex 500.

Thanks for the compliments! It was a great flier and I had a lot of fun with it.

Tony

Staff member
Make sure when you take the next one up to cut the power and see how the glide slope is. The nose should fall every so slightly as it looses air speed, and once the air speed picks up, the elevator should pull the nose back up, all under no power. This will set the CoG perfectly so if you lose power again, it will glide in and not turn into a lawn dart. Hope to see it in the air soon!

Derek

Thanks for the tip! If there is just one thing that i've learned thus far....rc lawn darts suck!!! lol. I will be sure to use your suggestion.

wolfman76

i forgot you use to live in indiana tony great job mountaindewdude jeez i remember those glider i had a ton of them growing up... hey there neighbor by the way i actual grew up in shelbyville indiana my family still resides there...might have to just try building one myself now..

Tony

Staff member
Yup, born at Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie Indiana, Home of the AMA.

OP, where are you ? I want to see more of these videos!!! :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, but he has not been on here in a while. He crashed the one he had and was going to rebuild it. from then on I have not seen him on here.

murankar

Staff member
The last one I saw of his he had rebuilt a new one and covered it in colored packing tap and had made the ailerons bigger. I saw the update when I was loged into my youtube main page.

Top Bottom