Futaba Need advice on Futaba

jpmando

Hello all. I have posted my story in the new section.

My major problem is a dead Attack 4 transmitter, never used but circa 1989.

I found a corroded battery, replaced it with a new one from Batteries America, proper specs. Happily I find that the motor runs with a new motor battery.

I have built the pushrods etc and getting ready to install the servos. The transmitter will not function or turn on. All of the eBay examples are a risk-none are listed as functional. Futaba customer support says that the TX is too old to repair.

I would like to complete the build and fly the plane. What would be the best way to do this with regard to the transmitter, servos etc.?

Thanks for your expert advice. By the way I have fond memories of my father and brother building RC planes and getting them airborne. I even did a Thermic 50 myself-that was lots of fun.

RandyDSok

I'll cover several things to give you an overview to make a decision from or at least point you in a direction.

The advancements in radio technology alone make using an older radio system questionable at the least. Then there are the changes to the FAA regulations regarding RC equipment. In addition, the potential interference issues seen with the older AM/FM radio systems also makes a strong case for avoiding their use even if they are in working order. The newer 2.4 Ghz radios also make it so adding channels and features at prices that are relatively cheaper ( cost of living adjusted ) than before.

Radio systems as they did before, use proprietary radio methods often referred to as protocols for each brand and in some cases models if a specific brand made changes. What does that mean, when you purchase a specific make or model, you must use compatible equipment... In this case, the transmitter and receivers must be compatible with each other.

There are probably two brands that are most commonly used. I believe Spectrum is probably the most used with Futaba being just behind those. I'm a fan of Futaba so I'm biased that way but Spectrum's popularity would make it much easier to source compatible parts so there would be reasons for suggesting either. There are also a lot of other good reliable brands but since they aren't as popular, getting compatible parts may be a little harder.

The servos you mentioned should be able to work with newer receivers but may need a connector replaced or something like that. Since you are going to need both a transmitter and a receiver, I'd look at the various kits that also include 4 servos and you'd be setup with new equipment all around for not much more than just the transmitter/receiver alone.

The cheaper 6 channel versions of these would certainly cover the number of channels you need BUT having more channels in a radio system isn't about the channels you get... it is about the features the radio will provide that can make life a bit easier. So when looking at systems to decide about... do not look at the number of channels but look at the feature sets they provide to base your decision on.

jpmando

I'll cover several things to give you an overview to make a decision from or at least point you in a direction.

The advancements in radio technology alone make using an older radio system questionable at the least. Then there are the changes to the FAA regulations regarding RC equipment. In addition, the potential interference issues seen with the older AM/FM radio systems also makes a strong case for avoiding their use even if they are in working order. The newer 2.4 Ghz radios also make it so adding channels and features at prices that are relatively cheaper ( cost of living adjusted ) than before.

Radio systems as they did before, use proprietary radio methods often referred to as protocols for each brand and in some cases models if a specific brand made changes. What does that mean, when you purchase a specific make or model, you must use compatible equipment... In this case, the transmitter and receivers must be compatible with each other.

There are probably two brands that are most commonly used. I believe Spectrum is probably the most used with Futaba being just behind those. I'm a fan of Futaba so I'm biased that way but Spectrum's popularity would make it much easier to source compatible parts so there would be reasons for suggesting either. There are also a lot of other good reliable brands but since they aren't as popular, getting compatible parts may be a little harder.

The servos you mentioned should be able to work with newer receivers but may need a connector replaced or something like that. Since you are going to need both a transmitter and a receiver, I'd look at the various kits that also include 4 servos and you'd be setup with new equipment all around for not much more than just the transmitter/receiver alone.

The cheaper 6 channel versions of these would certainly cover the number of channels you need BUT having more channels in a radio system isn't about the channels you get... it is about the features the radio will provide that can make life a bit easier. So when looking at systems to decide about... do not look at the number of channels but look at the feature sets they provide to base your decision on.
Very good input. Makes sense and pretty much as expected. Thanks.

Top Bottom