new guy long time rc fan but not experienced

Stingray230sx

a few years back I picked up a Redbull 130x on clearance while killing time in a local hobby shop [i just couldn't resist]
I knew I couldn't fly it so it went up on the shelf with a foam electric kit my brother had given me as I was doing a lot of traveling for work, and spending weekends on my boat.
recently I was gifted a box with a Blade MCX2 and a Blade 120SR and will try my hand at flying these. It has come to my attention that the DSM2 Tx are no longer made, and Horizen suggested a DX6e for the RedBull 130x. is this my only option? I was under the impression that it was DSMX and I also thought the RedBull 130x was DSM2 so I am still looking for a Tx to bind to it
thanks for adding me

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:welcome1:Stingray. They replaced the DX series with the NX series. I have the DX but it's old and I'm going with NX TX next. A gentleman that goes by Admiral on this site has one of the NX series and If I'm correct he's happy with it. Depending on how many RC vehicles you plan to own will determine what TX to get. This TX is back-ordered but take a look https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...adio-system-transmitter-only-spmr6775/p127130. You do have other choices too besides the DX6e. Here is DX6 from a different company DX6 G3 6-CH DSMX Transmitter w/AR6600T RX MD2

RandyDSok

I'm uncertain which model radio D.O.G. was suggesting... but the link didn't work for me... So I'm going to link to the airplane specific radios ( there are also radios tweaked for heli's as well ) ... Here is Amain's transmitter page with all of the radios they are selling Transmitters Electronics Airplanes

The main difference between a radio focused for an airplane vs a heli is just the throttle... airplane radios come with a ratcheted throttle and heli's tend to have a smooth one. Heli radios may also have a couple of channels that use a dial knob for tweaking certain settings but not always.

What I want to point out is something completely different. Don't try to walk before you have learned to crawl ( as the saying goes ). It is STRONGLY recommended that you practice RC flying using a simulator software before you every take to the air. What you'll spend on a decent quality software will more than pay for itself in fewer crashes and having to spend on repair parts... if parts are even available for the model(s) you are going to fly. Older airframes often do not have replacement parts easily found. So first practice on a simulator to develop your muscle memory before you attempt actual flying. I recommend the Realflight Simulator. Getting the version with a controller means you won't have to buy something compatible with the radio you do buy and just make it easier to setup as well. Here is Amains webpage for Realflight and the options for it also R/C Simulators Electronics Airplanes

Last tip.... Different types of airframes make a big difference in how long it takes to learn to fly. A multi-copter like the quads are really not teaching you to fly as much as point where you want them to go ( so to speak )... but they are fun to fly. Airplanes are the next easiest to learn to fly but will take much more time than a quad or similar airframe. Helicopters are the toughest airframe to learn to fly... consider them to be for advanced to expert level airframes. Flying a heli has been compared to trying to move a spinning marble on top of a glass table top, just the slightest movement of your radio's sticks results moving quickly in the direction you told it and not stopping until you move the sticks in the other direction just enough to counter the original movement.

Practicing any type of airframe on the simulator will help in all cases... just remember which type is easier and don't try to walk too much before you've learned to crawl. :peaceful:

Stingray230sx

Thanks everyone,
Well , originally I wanted a DSM2 Tx to bind to all three helis, but that seems impossible unless I look for a used DSM2 Tx.
And really i probably wont get any more helis, but def wanted a Tx to use with the RedBull 130x
this is what Horizen recommended: Spektrum DX6e 6-Channel DSMX Transmitter Only | Horizon Hobby
It's funny I originally asked a question on Amazon about the dx6e, but was told it would not work with any of the three helis I have, so I had been trying to make sure DSMX Tx will bind to the RedBull 130x and I will just use the Tx's that came with the mcx2/120sr
It is in stock, and I guess works with the blade RedBull 130x, so I might have to start with this or similar.
they do list the NX6 but it is back ordered until later in August plus it is another $100, lol

and I plan on experimenting with some of the simulator stuff as well.

a side note, I have a old Wattage Mirage 2000-5 kit that Im sure I could use the same Tx I buy for the helis

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
It is STRONGLY recommended that you practice RC flying using a simulator software before you every take to the air.
I do agree with Randy on the simulator. If you are tight with $$$$, like most of us are, the sim is great to learn on and also fun to fly when the weather is terrible outside.

Stingray230sx

I do agree with Randy on the simulator. If you are tight with $$$$, like most of us are, the sim is great to learn on and also fun to fly when the weather is terrible outside.
before I pony up for that Realfight 9 I have downloaded some freeware [PhoenixRC / Realflight G4 / FMS ] and have ordered a control simulator [USB] so will play with that for a bit and see how it goes.

RandyDSok

before I pony up for that Realfight 9 I have downloaded some freeware [PhoenixRC / Realflight G4 / FMS ] and have ordered a control simulator [USB] so will play with that for a bit and see how it goes.

The only freeware you listed was FMS ... the others are paid softwares. Phoenix is currently discontinued but still owned by Horizon Hobbies ( I believe that is the current owner ), and Realflight is still sold by that company. A software that is out of date or no longer being sold doesn't make it freeware.

I mention all of that primarily that anywhere you would be able to find copies of those paid softwares, are sketchy and may be infected with something. Large software downloads are unable to be scanned within the software package due to memory constraints placed on the various protection softwares ( Like Windows Defender and others ) and only scan files under a certain size completely.

I own a computer company and I get a lot of business by computers that get infected by various means including the method I mentioned. Always download software from the original company or person that owns it and you should be safe most of the time. It is rare but possible that the owners website gets infected, but it is very rare.

Stingray230sx

The only freeware you listed was FMS ... the others are paid softwares. Phoenix is currently discontinued but still owned by Horizon Hobbies ( I believe that is the current owner ), and Realflight is still sold by that company. A software that is out of date or no longer being sold doesn't make it freeware.

I mention all of that primarily that anywhere you would be able to find copies of those paid softwares, are sketchy and may be infected with something. Large software downloads are unable to be scanned within the software package due to memory constraints placed on the various protection softwares ( Like Windows Defender and others ) and only scan files under a certain size completely.

I own a computer company and I get a lot of business by computers that get infected by various means including the method I mentioned. Always download software from the original company or person that owns it and you should be safe most of the time. It is rare but possible that the owners website gets infected, but it is very rare.

Admiral

The NX series of Transmitters do support DSM2 I have 2 original MSX helicopters and a CX2 flying on mine.

SIMs I have tried most and find you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

LooseNut

Welcome Stingray! Some great advice given already.
My 2 cents is to keep investment and headaches low, stick with the Spektrum transmitters, and if you decide of the DX 6 channel version, the better unit is the DX6 G3 that D.O.G. gave a link to. From what I've seen re-sale is better too. More bells and whistles and Voice Alerts for a couple bucks more. They are both DSM2 compatible.
Biggest reason is the multitude of Vids on Youtube for setting up your birds and is the most common if you need an assist from locals to forums.
With the Real Flight Sim you can gat a Dongle to bind with your Transmitter as well, so the muscle memory you build will be with the unit you are flying, and you'll already know where your switches are for Flight Modes and Throttle Hold.
I have a DX6, DX7se, and a DX18 and though it seems like overkill, I have the DX18 bound to my RF most of the time because that's the radio I use the most.

mudbogger

Welcome to the forum stingray!

There are many transmitters available today, some with more channels than I would know what to do with. The Spektrum DX radios work well, but if your already looking at the DX6e, I’d suggest you look at the DX6 - G2 or G3. You get more options for your money.

As a side note, I’m more of an airplane pilot than a heli pilot…but either way just starting out a 6 channel radio should be able to control nearly anything you’d want to fly. My little brother has a DX6 (G3 I believe) and it hasn’t given him any problems yet (as far as aircraft comparability).

With DSMS / DSMX, I believe most of the DX series radios, or newer, can run with either one. That all depends on the receiver your using.

Simulators are also a solid investment. Especially as you grow with the hobby. Because as the saying goes, the bigger they are, the better they’ll fly! If you find realflight 7 or a newer version, they also have a multiplayer mode so you can fly with other pilots too. The online mode may have been available in a older version of realflight, but I’m not sure when that first came out. The simulator will pay for itself rather fast when learning how to fly, as compared to having to fix a new heli or airplane. You could get realflight with their interlink radio, but if your able, I’d highly recommend getting the interface version and finding a radio your comfortable with. Muscle memory will be built faster using a radio you can train with on the sim and at the field. Plus, you can set the airplanes up how you would want in realflight (within reason) for dual rates, flaps, smoke, landing gear retracts, SAFE / AS3X, etc… Bonus with the simulator too is being able to fly year round and maintain your skills. I’m in Ohio and it’s nice to be able to still fly in nice weather on the sim when snow is flying outside. Again, welcome to the forum, and happy flying!

Top Bottom