Other One stick radio for ground

MSMatt

Someone helpfully pointed out to me in the electronic section that I want a 2/3 channel radio to adapt to suit my needs.

I need a radio I can set to use 1 stick for all controls of a truck.
I'll want to adapt the stick by putting a golf ball on top for my hand to sit on as that's what I'm use to with my wheelchair and I've no grip strength in my fingers.
I don't know if it will affect any recommendations but I may want to increase resistance on the stick and or remove the redundant stick so it doesn't get in the way.
I've no clue what I'm looking for so exact model recommendations would be greatly received thanks.

It's surprising no-one's asked before right?
I assumed there'd be some kind of off the shelf radio already adapted with disabilities in mind from Amazon by now!
Is there no such thing as an emulator you could plug a USB joystick into transmit rf?? ... a few years ago I got a really cool joystick for peeps with disabilities to use instead of a mouse, that's built like the top of an old arcade machine. It would be the perfect size and shape already so to be able to use that would be great.

RandyDSok

While looking around at the available RC radio's made for surface vehicles... I only found 2 that used sticks instead of a wheel and trigger style. Both were 4 channel systems and not "cheap" when compared to other more entry level surface radios. The reason is all based on demand, the majority of the units sold are those types so the ones that aren't popular are not able to reach the sales numbers to drop prices but there is enough of a demand that they don't completely drop the stick type transmitters. Since the companies that sell the lower priced models don't see enough demand to justify carrying them... so they don't provide the products.

Single stick radios have never been popular going a long ways back. In the 1970's my Dad was looking for one and only found a couple to choose from for his airplanes. They quickly became almost extinct after that again... because of a lack of demand. Speaking on the subject of demand, most radios are made for aircraft and not so many for surface vehicles again based on popularity.

The two stick type surface radios I found were by Futaba ( a higher end product ) and Tamiya ( not a high end product company, but decent enough ). The Futaba has the throttle and steering on seperate sticks only. The Tamiya, both sticks could be setup to control any channel so you could set them up seperately or on one stick.

I'm going to link to just Futaba's website and a single hobby company website that carries the Tamiya... you may search for lower prices elsewhere, but not being a popular product, it'll be tough to find lower pricing I suspect.

Futaba's 4GRS radio webpage is at 4GRS - FutabaUSA

Tamiya's Attack 4YWD radio on Tower Hobbies website is at Tamiya Attack 4YWD 2.4GHz 4-channel Digital Proportional Radio Control System | Tower Hobbies

Few products made for people with disabilities are seldom marketed in the main marketplaces such as Amazon, Walmart or other similar sites or even in local markets. Made for disabilities products are almost always found only with the companies that specialize in those types of products and because of that lower demand, they are also priced accordingly. Now introduce a product made for a lower sales market such as RC equipment... which makes it even tougher to source that sort of product.

RC radios typically only use USB for charging, saving their model data and/or programming like firmware updates and not to attach other devices to. Most use memory cards for the data side which leaves any USB port to only be used for charging. USB Joysticks are not a completely standardized product in the computer world. While they do use some standard drivers on the lower cost versions, many come with their own specialized driver made for that specific make/model of joystick. For a RC radio to include other devices like joysticks or any other device, they would require a lot more programming for each and every device they support and again... demand for that isn't there enough to support having that integrated into their products.

MSMatt

Thanks Randy you've been really helpful.
I'm in the UK so have asked the question to a UK based rc model seller on ebay and hopefully they'll come up with something similar.
Thanks again

Top Bottom