Paint Spray Guns

Smoggie

I was doing a bit of spray painting the other day and thought it worth sharing my thoughts on paint guns, from a strictly non-expert viewpoint.

In the past I've used 'Badger' and similar airbrushes to decent effect but only for very small jobs and using very thin lacquer/enamel based paint. For this job I was using 2 pack auto paint and the airbrush just couldnt handle it, the paint was too thick to flow through the nozzle.

So i got myself a cheap ($20) auto repair spray gun:
s-l500.jpg

This is a HVLP type (high velocity low pressure) and I powered it off the little compressor that I've had for years running at 30psi. What a revelation is was, I had the job done in moments whereas with the airbrush i'd struggled for ages.

This is what i was painting, which is nothing to do with RC, but for painting larger models it would work just as well:
DSCN2224.jpg

DSCN2225.jpg

It's hard to capture the finish on the white of the guitar body but it's pretty much perfect... I'ts my son's guitar by the way, I cant play a note.

Tony

Staff member
For a cheap spray gun, that thing put out a fantastic finish! I have one of those that I use for spraying primer only on cars and such. The cup is broke on it now so it is pretty much trash (throwaway guns pretty much), but I also have another set of guns that I use for spraying paint and clear that work great. And I still have my grandpa's old Binks spray gun that we used to paint everything for years, including a 98 point show car.

Crap, now I want to go out and spray something lmao. Great work Steve! But you need to feed your son more, due is all bone lmao.

Tony

Staff member
lmao, I have family members that are that way as well. You keep feeding them and nothing happens. And in the Oklahoma wind, they are just going to blow the hell away lol.

Top Bottom