PoE cameras using PoE switch

bigone5500

If I connect all my cameras to a PoE switch then connect the switch to the NVR, then I should be able to see all of them on the screen right?

Anyone know how to achieve this setup?

RandyDSok

Each camera will need an IP assigned to them. Then you tell the NVR what the IP's of each camera is and what type of camera since they all use different chips. Then the NVR will have a set of features and/or settings that you'll want to configure to your preferences. You will likely need manuals for each to help you with the info you may need to access, setup and use them.

bigone5500

If I plug a camera into port 1 of the switch, how do I assign that port/camera an ip?

For now I'll be using an Aruba 2530-8G.

RandyDSok

If I plug a camera into port 1 of the switch, how do I assign that port/camera an ip?

For now I'll be using an Aruba 2530-8G.

Hoo hoo.. I get to use my fav acronym ... RTFM ... lol.

Seriously, each camera will have it's own way to set them up. If they default to using DCHP, you can probably hook them up and see what new device is assigned an IP address in your router. If they are a fixed IP, the manual should mention what their default IP is. There is no standard which is why I mentioned the manuals in my earlier post. I would recommend when you do find out and can set them up, that you set them up to a manual set IP addresses so they can't "move" around on you for any reason. I have a limited range of IP's set in my router for DCHP and most everything else is set outside of that range to a fixed set of IP addresses.

I assume the Aruba is much the same although I think most switches by default have their all of their ports enabled, I can't say for certain since I have never used that brand.

Tony

Staff member
With my POE setup here at the house, I don't have to assign anything, the DVR just see's them. granted, I would attach them to the DVR first (and I did) so they are assigned an IP address, and I also went in and set them all to Static IP's, but I can plug any camera anywhere in my house (as long as it has PoE) and the DVR see's it.

bigone5500

Man, I was hoping it was a plug and play setup. What I have seen on google searches is that you plug all cameras into the switch then plug the switch into the back of the NVR.

The reason I want to do this is to be able to run a couple cameras out to my shop which is obstructed by my carport.

Last question about this is although my NVR has 8 ports, is it possible to run more cameras than that through a switch and have them all show up in the NVR menu? I know, RTFM...

Tony

Staff member
That would be up to the firmware in the NVR. Some limit to 4, some to 8, 16, 32, just depends on what yours is set to.

bigone5500

So I connected my cameras to my switch and then the switch to the NVR. Nothing. I guess I have to have a router in the setup. Otherwise no cameras get an IP. I'll investigate later.

As an aside, I upgraded the HDD to a WD Purple 4TB. I formatted the drive in the system and for some reason it still said it was unformatted. After a bit, the system locked up and continually rebooted. Google was useless here. So I decided to try one of my other NVRs. I put the HDD into an unused NVR and formatted it completely. So now it shows up as formatted and everything is good. Then I swap it back to the original NVR and for some reason it now likes the drive, no rebooting. :arms:I now have roughly 3.5x the storage space than before.

Tony

Staff member
Plug them into your NVR one at a time and set them in your router to a static IP that they were either assigned, or what you want them to be (should be a way to set static IP's in the NVR). Once they have a static ip assigned to their mac address, it should work the way you are wanting.

bigone5500

I think that makes sense. Thanks. I think I'll put this on hold until I get a wall plate. I want to run all the cables under my house and up through the floor into the back of an RJ45 wall plate. Then it will look cleaner than having cables sticking out of the floor. I could then run short cables to the PoE switch and then to the router/NVR.

Is there something I'm missing or does that make sense?

Tony

Staff member
If you are only talking up to 6 lines, a single wall plate with keystone jacks will work perfectly for this. another way would be to run a patch panel for everything then run patch cables from the patch panel to the switch. Of course, you could always use a double, triple, or quad gang box to add even more ports if you needed.

bigone5500

I have my eye on a 12 port panel on Amazon.

diyTech Ethernet Wall Plate - 12 Port RJ45 Cat6 Ethernet Wall Outlet, Female to Female Cat6 Wall Jack Keystone, Ethernet Plug in Wall Outlet, for Network Outlet Setup - White https://a.co/d/acdNybs

Tony

Staff member
Ah gotcha, that is pretty much a double gang plate, but made neater. I like it. As long as the back side is shielded from the weather, that double RJ45 will work great. Just don't forget, leave a service loop on your cables!

bigone5500

Ah gotcha, that is pretty much a double gang plate, but made neater. I like it. As long as the back side is shielded from the weather, that double RJ45 will work great. Just don't forget, leave a service loop on your cables!
10-4 on the loops.

bigone5500

So I've been thinking. When connecting the cameras to my router, I should connect them one at a time? If so, then I check in the router and gather the IP address for the MAC and then go into the NVR to assign said camera a static IP. Then I continue with remaining cameras. After assigning static IPs through the NVR, I connect them all to the PoE switch then connect that to the NVR directly...right? Is a router still required to make this work? Will the switch I have work for this setup? On the front of the switch are the 8 PoE ports and two others labeled 'Dual Personality Ports', 9T and 10T. Is that where the NVR connects?

I'm trying to understand this stuff. I used to catch on to this stuff when I was younger but now it takes a little more effort...annoying.

Tony

Staff member
I would plug them into NVR first and set them to static within the NVR first. This should be enough to keep the IP address, however if it doesn't stick when you plug them into the switch, then you will have to use the router to manually assign the IP address. One thing to keep in mind is how much data you are trying to transfer over a single port going back to the NVR.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, that should be fine. Cat6 can handle 10Gbps, your network I believe is 1Gbps, and each camera is somewhere between 4-6Mbps, so you could have quite a few of them before it would saturate a gigabit port.

bigone5500

Great. I'll put this in line with all my other projects. And man do I have some projects. It's overwhelming...

Top Bottom