General RC Surface Vehicle Brakes

If it's bike stuff you're looking at, happy to help!! hahaha but am happy to lend idea that may help!
How big is this thing going to be? How are you actually wanting the brakes to be applied?
Are you going to want them to have trailing brakes (take finger off the throttle, brakes applied gently) or only when you ask it to brake?
Hmmm.... now for my own curiousity, I wonder if you can get them to have brake bias... more front less rear braking force...

Derek

I'm probably looking at a truck-size of 2.5-3 feet long. 15-18 inches wide. I'd like to see this truck to be similar to a 1/5 Losi.

Applying the brakes.....not sure yet. It's still just an idea in my head. I haven't even written anything down yet.

I'd like to see something like this:
losi150809111.jpg

Will it actually turn out like this? Probably not, lol...but who knows

losi150809111.jpg

pushy brakes will be too big when looking at hydraulics, so the easy option is now out hahaha
however, let me do some thinking, I think might be able to come up with an unconventional way of making it work.
does it have to be disc brake? Could we apply a brake to the central drive shaft?
I'm thinking the park brake on my discover is actually two semi circular pads that wrap around the prop shaft. Is there any reason this method couldn't work? For ease of one brake not four...
Just a thought

Tony

Staff member
If this is going to be a 4x4, I would put a brake disk on the front and rear yoke. This would allow you to tune the front and rear bias. And the word for releasing the throttle and neutral being able to slow down is called "Drag Brake". I run drag brake on a very fast oval track that carries a lot of speed through the turns.

Sorry thanks Tony, I knew I had the wrong term, but couldn't actually think of what it was.
I hadn't yet thought of doing it that way... I was going back to simples, but I think that is the most simple and effective way of doing it.

Derek

No, it doesn't have to be a disk brake setup. I just thought that would be an easy way to do it. I'm open to alternative suggestions.

This truck will most likely not be 4x4. I just want a simple setup that might tear up my grass a bit.

I'll have a think and see what other things I can think of, and how to make the caliper work.
hehehe create a drift brake ;) haha
Ok so we're running rear wheel drive, we will have a look at see what I can think of. It can't be that hard as there are models out there that have them already!
but would be cool to do your own custom one!

Top Bottom