General Rc Tools

Ronaldshirk

Maybe more like $30 range a good set of 1.5mm 2.0mm 2.5mm 5.5mm drivers not the ones that traxxas has. I have those their crappie

Tony

Staff member
To find all of those tools for that price, they are all going to be made with soft metals. The ones that I linked to are made with high speed tooling steel which is incredibly hard and doesn't strip out easily. I have cheaper tools, but none of them have all of the sized you are looking for. I have never used 3.5, 4.5 5.0, 5.5mm drivers. 3mm is as large as my tools go. Well, I do have a 4mm with the scorpion kit, but still have not used it.

Best thing I can suggest is taking a look at this search page on Amazon.

https://amzn.to/2W05Czl

Tony

Staff member
Your first link, I own them. They are quite soft and slightly undersized. Mine are undersized at least. QC in China is not top priority so you may get undersized, you may get just right, or you may get over sized. The scorpion drivers are spot on if not a thou oversized. That is why I love this tool kit.

But the first link is soft metal. The second link, I'm not sure what kind of metal they are made of. If it says HSS, then you are likely going to have decent luck out of them. Tools IMO are an investment as I stated before. You spend the money for years of use out of them. The first set you linked to are cheap and you definitely get what you pay for. @murankar sent me those Scorpion tools as a gift, and if I lost them tomorrow, I would order them again. They are that good.

Make sure the bit metal is HSS (High Speed Steel). It is very hard, but don't use it as a prybar, they will shatter. Hard means britttle or nonflexible.

murankar

Staff member
Here is an option for tools.

Buy just the ones you need. The scorpions run about $11 a driver. The Tmax needs maybe 3 different sizes? While the entire kit is well worth it value wise, I recommend just getting the needed drivers.

The cross tip (Phillips) is not necessity and the box end drivers are the same. Not really needed. If you have a decent nut driver set then use that instead.

I get it $120 too is a huge pill to swallow at one time. I can attest that once you buy it you wont be buying it again. I have just 2 drivers and I have yet to strip them. I got mine sometime around 2013 when the Gaui X3 was released and bought. I got the 1.5 and 2mm drivers. I would like the full set but I don't have a need for a full set. My fleet is small except for the goblin. All I need is a 2.5, another 1.5mm. Not to mention the tips can be replaced for about $6.

tntpoof

I dont think there is just 1 set of tools thats the best. I have many tools from MIP speed bits that I use mostly .dynamite hex .some I drilled tips off that I added custom bits .But I can silver solder or braze almost any metal to metal.Ignition pliers are a must ..

Tony

Staff member
I never said there was one set that was best. I said I was sent Scorpion drivers and I love them. I have over a dozen different brands that I use, and I'm always finding myself reaching for the Scorpion drivers over the others including MIP, Bolink, China POS's, Align and others.

Geena

Staff member
I`m really partial to my Scorpion tools. I got them from Georges while attending IRCHA 2013, and I use them a lot. I have used them to build countless helicopters for other people, and for myself. Plus all the maintenance I do on my own machines. They still look and work like the day I took them out of the packages.

RJX has been advertising some really nice looking tools lately too. Those might be worth a look. They seem to be well made, going by the photos/videos I have seen. But I have not spoken to anyone who has actually purchased and used them yet.

3carmark

I was an auto mechanic for 45+ years so I'm spoiled and expect my tools to work so I'm extremely lucky to have snap-on and mac tools for my rc stuff way to pricey to buy for a hobby but great if lucky enough to have I have ball end allen bits that are super nice to get into tight places and will not break

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I was a mechanic for many years and have a pretty decent collection myself. Don't use them much anymore due to back issues. But never had anything much that was small enough to work on these things. I mean, I have a 0.050 feeler, but never had an allen driver that size :lmao:

Top Bottom