Other Reflex V2 stabilizer question

Loopy

I have an FMX Ranger 1220 without a stabilizer that flies very well, however I wanted a bit more landing control. I purchased the Reflex V2 to accomplish that task. Unfortunately, when I try to program the stabilizer the FMS website requires I use WinZip at a $50 price. I've tried Adobe Acrobat, Dropbox and others with no success. Anyone had the same problem and what did you do about?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
If it's anything like my AR7200/7300BX FBL unit if you want all that fancy stuff you must pay :sorrow:

RandyDSok

I'm confused... WinZip is a zip utility that allows you to make or extract ZIP and other compressed files... There are a lot of other zip utils including free one's like 7-Zip that I would recommend.

Acrobat is for reading PDF files, completely unrelated to zip files... Dropbox is a cloud based storage solution which you could place/store a zip file or any other file type on but wouldn't let you make or extract a zip file...

If the problem is just being able to uncompress a Zip file... use 7-Zip ... if it's something else... perhaps a better explanation of exactly what you are having problems with is in order.

Loopy

Thanks RANDY, The Winzip indicated that I could download a PDF, but I couldn't open it. I'll try the 7-Zip.
If it's anything like my AR7200/7300BX FBL unit if you want all that fancy stuff you must pay :sorrow:
Well, it really isn't fancy, and I see no reason to throw 50 bucks a way for a probable one time use unless I absolutely have to.

RandyDSok

Thanks RANDY, The Winzip indicated that I could download a PDF, but I couldn't open it. I'll try the 7-Zip.
That is what is not making sense ... Winzip works with compressed file types such as ZIP files and are what a lot of download files are distributed as since it saves download time ... PDF's are documents often opened with Acrobat or Acrobat Reader and now many other programs but are not compressed file types like a ZIP file is.

... Hmmm... I see now that Winzip Pro adds the ability to also read/write PDF files but I suspect it's unrelated to what I suspect is just getting a firmware update for the Reflex v2 and updating it... but it is likely distributed in a ZIP file that you must first extract before you try to open and update using the file. A lot of companies may name or recommend Winzip as a utility program you can extract a compressed file like a .ZIP file with because it used to be free and people got use to the name Winzip being associated with .ZIP files. Sometimes a company may even get a kickback for recommending another program that is a paid program like Winzip is now. That being said, it doesn't mean you always have to use the recommended program since others exist that can do the same if not better job. I think the .PDF part was a misunderstanding on your part and probably doesn't have anything to do here, it was just listed as an added feature of Winzip in the first line of their feature list for the Pro version.

If I'm correct in my assumptions... the file you are downloading will end with the file extension ( the last 3 letters in the filename after a period ) as .ZIP ... In this case, you download the file to a location you know on your computer, you extract it using a utility such as Winzip, 7-Zip or even Windows built in extractor... and then you would open that extracted file with the update utility you got for the Reflex v2.

Loopy

That is what is not making sense ... Winzip works with compressed file types such as ZIP files and are what a lot of download files are distributed as since it saves download time ... PDF's are documents often opened with Acrobat or Acrobat Reader and now many other programs but are not compressed file types like a ZIP file is.

... Hmmm... I see now that Winzip Pro adds the ability to also read/write PDF files but I suspect it's unrelated to what I suspect is just getting a firmware update for the Reflex v2 and updating it... but it is likely distributed in a ZIP file that you must first extract before you try to open and update using the file. A lot of companies may name or recommend Winzip as a utility program you can extract a compressed file like a .ZIP file with because it used to be free and people got use to the name Winzip being associated with .ZIP files. Sometimes a company may even get a kickback for recommending another program that is a paid program like Winzip is now. That being said, it doesn't mean you always have to use the recommended program since others exist that can do the same if not better job. I think the .PDF part was a misunderstanding on your part and probably doesn't have anything to do here, it was just listed as an added feature of Winzip in the first line of their feature list for the Pro version.

If I'm correct in my assumptions... the file you are downloading will end with the file extension ( the last 3 letters in the filename after a period ) as .ZIP ... In this case, you download the file to a location you know on your computer, you extract it using a utility such as Winzip, 7-Zip or even Windows built in extractor... and then you would open that extracted file with the update utility you got for the Reflex v2.
I tried the 7-Zip and got the same result. I suspect that you are right that there is a kick-back involved. I am not the only one having these problems. There is a long list of complaints in the RCGroups forum that are listed. So far I have not found a satisfactory answer. I may just install it in the plane, take off with the unit in the off position and turn it on at altitude and see what happens. It may be just fine OR drill a deep hole in the ground. :angel::miserable::mad:

RandyDSok

What is the full filename that you have downloaded... you have yet to give actual info to base anything more than guesses at what to suggest.

Loopy

Here's what happens:
1 open FMS window
2 click on reflex 2 update
3 FMS FK param V2.0 comes up
4 ICO, Images, Login, Param come up in vertical sequence
5 Click on download
6 Open file
7 Flag says "cannot open file. This is not a valid bitmap file or it is not supported or file may be damaged". I've tried using Acrobat Reader, Dropbox, 7-Zip etc, etc.
All say the same thing.
Thanks for your efforts. I certainly appreciate your help.

RandyDSok

Ok... that sort of lists the steps taken, despite not using the actual names of dialog or error notices and other stuff ... it at the least gives an error message that indicates a direction... You still didn't list what the full filename was that could not be opened. The full filename would help provide me with info like the specific type of file we are dealing with so I could actually recommend a program if I am familiar with that file type ... or possibly look it up if it's an odd one that I'm not familiar with.

Loopy

Well, I'm pretty computer stupid, but I have seen .dll, .rar, .exe. Not sure if that's what you need or not.

RandyDSok

The actual file downloaded to update the Reflex v2 ... typically called the firmware but usually distributed as a compressed file type.

You listed a .RAR file which is one of those types and is one supported by 7-zip... right click on that file and select the 7-zip category in the menu that pops up and then Extract Here... then select that file that gets extracted when the updater is asking for the firmware / update file

Loopy

I still cannot get this thing to work. I tried to open an RAR file but was cautioned by Microsoft that it may be corrupt. I downloaded express Zip which should have opened an .rar file. I Couldn't open because the file was corrupt. I have spent too many hours of yours and mine on this minor problem. it's just not worht the hassle.

I sincerely appreciate your patience and desire to help.
Best Regards Loopy

Loopy

I still cannot get this thing to work. I tried to open an RAR file but was cautioned by Microsoft that it may be corrupt. I downloaded express Zip which should have opened an .rar file. I Couldn't open because the file was corrupt. I have spent too many hours of yours and mine on this minor problem. it's just not worht the hassle.

I sincerely appreciate your patience and desire to help.
Best Regards Loopy
EUREKA, EUREKA, EUREKA!!!!!!! I finally did it!!!! I'm not entirely sure just how, but I did it!!!!!:triumphant::chickendance::arms::banroll::hdbng:

RandyDSok

If the downloaded file is corrupted... it won't matter what utility you try to extract it with, a good uncorrupted file is a requirement. I don't know why Microsoft would say a RAR file is corrupt since MS doesn't support making or extracting RAR files.

RandyDSok

If the downloaded file is corrupted... it won't matter what utility you try to extract it with, a good uncorrupted file is a requirement. I don't know why Microsoft would say a RAR file is corrupt since MS doesn't support making or extracting RAR files.

Just an update on this... Windows 11 now supports extracting RAR files since after Aug 2023. I still use 7-Zip to extract any compressed file since it has options that the Windows built in doesn't ... but at least that was added since it is a popular format for some people. Of course there are other 3rd party utils that also support RAR formated files.

Top Bottom