Trucks t-maxx initial startup

WazabiQc

Hey guys ! i just got a t-maxx yesterday, and today i was trying to break it in, but when i try here's what happens! i pushed 1/4 down as they say in the break in procedure. Anyone knows what's happening ?

T-MAXX - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
Hey Waz, thanks for joining Rc-Help.com!

If you are talking about the jerking, that is completely normal. The transmission, with no throttle is in neutral. When you start adding throttle, it wants to kick into first gear. Best thing you can do is go out to a parking lot or a grassy field and just run it around very slowly for the first tank or so, then do as the manual states.

Another option would be to put the truck up on a block, but this would keep torque off the motor, and you need that for a proper break in.

WazabiQc

Well the problem is, thata when i give it gas... it just jerks.. ans what do you suggest for break-in? The shop guy toldme to let it burn one tank idling.. but traxxas recommend something else

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the jerking just means you need to add a little more throttle to it to keep it rolling.

As for what I would suggest, I would do exactly what the manual states. They have sold thousands of these and have thousands of hours in R&D in these engines so I trust what they say. I used to break them in just stupid rich while idling, but with no load on the engine it's not really doing anything.

So just add a little more throttle out in an open area and let it go slow for a while. The jerking is completely normal.

WazabiQc

I see some videos where the cars smoke, mine doesnt.. how do i set this? Mine doesnt have any smoke coming out but i can smell nitro

Tony

Staff member
Make sure your high end needle is 2.5 turns out (I think it's 2.5, check the manual to verify this) and your low end needle is flush with the carb body (again, the manual will have an illustration of this). They don't really smoke at an idle, but they will when you are driving around.

Tony

Staff member
Did you have it out in an open area where it's able to stay rolling? YOu need to get some speed up for it to lock into gear.

WazabiQc

I went outside.. but on breakin it says to only go 1/4 for the first tank. All it does is jerking.. even if i out more throttle.. it wont roll freely

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like the engines just cuts off. How can i fix this?

Sparse

the t-maxx is notorious for the jerking that is being seen in your video. there is a way to correct that. and most people that have them do it. get a forward only conversion kit, you will eliminate reverse and all that mass inside the tranny. but the way it is stock yes that is normal. and as far as break in goes there are so many methods out there. if you are new to the hobby do it the way it is stated in the manual. and your ot really gonna see the blue smoke trail until you are actually running the t-max. 3-4 tanks into the break in.

Tony

Staff member
There is nothing really more that I can say. The truck is going to jerk at very low throttle input without it rolling free. If it's not rolling free, you need to find if there is any binding in the drivetrain. If there is, you need to free it up. I would just start it up and let it roll around an asphalt or concrete parking lot or something for the first tank or so. But at a very low throttle, it's going to jerk. The transmission has a centrifugal clutch and it needs rpm to sling out the weights and lock into gear. Run it through the first tank on a smooth surface then start leaning it out per the instruction manual. It will get better.

Tony

Staff member
Just an FYI, you can set videos to "Unlisted" and only those with the link, or on the site with the video embedded can see it.

What the transmission is doing is slamming in and out of gear. It's like trying to grab a balloon out of the air. Your hand is going to hit it, the balloon is going ot move, then your hand is going to hit it again.

Try the same thing, but this time keep it going in a circle or running it up and down the road (if you can). I will bet once you get some speed out of the truck, this should stop. If not, then there may be an issue with the clutch. Another thing you can try is to loosen your slipper clutch just a touch so that it slips while you are breaking it in. Not slipping a lot, but enough so the trans is locking in gear.

If you do in fact have an issue with the clutch, you can do one of two things. 1. take it back to where you got it and have them swap it out or 2. put a forward only kit into it as suggested before. I like the forward only kit, but I'm a racer and never back up.

Top Bottom