What Program Do You Use?

Tony

Staff member
I was sitting here thinking about a new project to put my 3D printer back to work, and since it has been so long, I no longer have a program installed on my computer. So it got me to thinking.....

What program do y'all use to design your prints?

In the past, I mainly used Fusion 360, and may use it again, unless you provide me with a better option. I will also need to download a slicer as well, but i will likely just go back to Cura.

LooseNut

Old post, I'm sure you've settled on something by now.
I use Fusion 360 and Cura, since I use Inventor at work, it's close to the same thing.
I have a Ender 6SE and a CR10 with mods, sold my 3. It was setup to run TPU and since I no longer have a need for that I got a smoking offer I couldn't refuse, took the money and gave him the setup. :)

Tony

Staff member
Never settle! When you settle, you become complacent lol.

But, I do use Fusion 360 for a lot of the things I do, but for basic stuff, I just use Tinkercad. So simple it's hard to do simple things though, like a filet of chamfer takes a TON of work in Tinkercad vs Fusion. And yea, Cura is the best slicer out there, I never even looked at anything else.

With that said though, I still look for other programs that may work easier or better. But "better" may be hard to come by with how powerful Fusion is.

LooseNut

Thing with Fusion is you can run it free and once or twice a year they let you "Try out" the extensions for free hoping to entice a sale. I actually had it set up before I bought my first printer, so it was just a button click from sending models to Cura.
If they come up with a mind reading interface I'm in!

LooseNut

I learned Autocad on a 88 machine with 8" floppies and have been using Autodesk products for years. I think Master Cam was V3 when we got seats and I went through the classes. I still have the Coffee mug and use it.

Tony

Staff member
yea, I have not used it enough to know what the paid version has that is better than the free version. I'm not that good with it. Honesty, I can create a basic design in Tinkercad, and if I need to do anything more complex or just faster like chamfers, I just send it over to fusion and stick them in there and call it done. I mean, click on a corner, tell it what radius and DONE! Not sure why they cannot put it in Tinkercad.

LooseNut

There may be a way to do it, just have to "Tinker" with it. :)
I'm just glad we aren't trying to do it with a Commodore 64 or Pet 16... or worse! A TRS80!

Tony

Staff member
haha, true that.

And there is a way. You create a square, and place it. Then you get a round and set it to the size you want and cut out the square you just placed. Then take the square you just placed and cut and turn it into a hole. Then place the hole square thing over your part to remove the material to chamfer/filet. Of course you can save custom tools, but I don't know why it's not a part of the program.

Top Bottom