Workbench Project

Tony

Staff member
So I shot a couple videos this morning kind of informing you all of what I need to do and trying to get some suggestions on how to do it. Well, I'm not sure I will be uploading those videos, but I might.

So this thread is pretty much a project thread where I'm going to be building myself a custom workbench to work on everything from planes to heli's to quads. It's going to need to be big enough to put a 68" Decathlon on it and if it will fit that plane, it will fit everything else that I have.

I know I'm going to need a computer with the desk, I'm just not sure how I'm going to pull all of that off. I have an extra monitor, but I use it for videos. I do have extra computers, but I'm going to have to build them and just hope like hell they work.

I'm still not sure yet if I'm going to make the video table and the workbench one in the same though. So this may end up being a two bench project.

The hardest part of this is going to be clearing out a space to do it. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to put it in the ole barn, but I may put it in the ole hole that I used to have my computer in. It's the only place here that has a concrete floor. The barn has a wood floor with a sub frame so walking will create noise. But it's bigger than the hole.

So yea, I have some planning and cleaning to do. Oh what fun...

What are your suggestions on what I should do?

Tony

Staff member
haha, your not joking there lol. I did build a little desk, and holy crap, there is stuff piled up on it about 3' high!

Tony

Staff member
Oh trust me, I know exactly what is on that table lmao. From props, to soldering iron tips to fishing spinners I use to wind wire, I know it all lmao.

murankar

Staff member
My ex wife loved flat surfaces. I wanted to tilt every flat surface in my house. Reasoning was so nothing would stay on the counters. Figured it would slide or roll off.

Fly-n-Low

Hey Tony, what did you ever come up with? I bought two of these from Sam's and put them together leveling them. I find them ever changing though from different states of disarray to organization of some kind. Have gone from cars to helis to building planes. Now I keep the parts in different storage boxes and only keep tools on the benches.

Attachments

• PB200015.JPG
    PB200015.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That looks nice Fly-n-Low. I took one of our spare rooms in our house and turn it into a man's cave for my rc stuff.

Fly-n-Low

Thanks! Yea this was a large bedroom. I have run out of room though. I was looking at a shipping container to store things in. Then I want a huge table to build wings and stuff in the middle of the room, and move the benches against the wall. Right now I build parts on the benches, and assemble small planes, but like my Beaver, it is 78", so I flipped open the futon in my den and put it together on it. It would have been nice to have a large table. Like a 3.5 x 6 or so. I want it with adjustable height too. Something I will have to build.

Paul

Tony

Staff member
To answer the question, this thread is about as far as I have gotten with it. I ended up moving to the ole barn for the studio, then a room in my house opened up and I moved into that room. I have my L shaped desk and a 6" plastic table that I use to store stuff, and I have a little shelf that you could see behind me in some videos. But dedicated work bench, nothing ever came of it. Kind of...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
If your looking for a table to build your big planes on can I suggest going to a consignment store and look for a folding kitchen table. We found one that's 4x6 but then if you flip the ends up it turns into a 6x6 table. I think we got it for $25/$30 bucks. For storage I use filing cabinets that we pick up at consignment store for cheap. Just an idea to throw out there :).

Top Bottom