yak54 with no power

Now this happened a little while ago but something i hope no one goes through.This is one of those stories that mervys law kicks in.I was at the field flying with my yak 54 and was having fun.Doing loops, torque rolls, knife edging, harriers, etc,etc.It was a blast.As i was doing those things started to get an audeance(of course) and ppl asking my questions while i was flying.I dont mind ppl asking me question while im flying . I know some ppl do, exspecially the flying buddy that flies with me.He is still in training.
Anyway, I was flying for about ten min when it was time to land( low power).Got it on the ground and let it sit for about fifteen mins to let the ESC cool down.( i always do that JUST to be safe).Put in the second batteriy and took off.I did a vertical torque roll the second it left the ground and it was climbing.... nicley. It got to ABOUT a couple of feet above the tallest tree in the park. It suddunly went nose down torque roll to the ground.As it was coming to the ground, out of reflex was trying to correct it with the controller and nothing happen.It then hit the ground HARD.First words out of my mouth "OHHHH NOOOOOO!!!!".
As i walked to the plane i was woundering what happened?As i was walking to the plane the first thing that i saw was the wing broke in half. As i got even closer i noticed the the fusalage was split in two and the canapy was off.I was looking and the spot were the canapy was and saw that the batt was not in.
I then figured out that what happened was as i was torque rolling upwards it must of thrown the batt out of the velcro and had no power to recover.All i was able to do was watch it come back to ground a watch the crash :(:(:(

Tony

Staff member
As you have implied in the above, it's always a very good idea to not only use velcro on the under side of the battery, but also use two velcro straps to hold the battery in place. Sucks about your plane. Hope it's rebuildable and flyable soon.

Unfortunatly it is a total right off. From then i have been working on my 50" edge 540t.I know Tony that you have one.They are nice plaqnes.Slowly getting the good quality parts for it so i can fly it. Having a hard time finding the "x" motor mount for it, and going to get metal geared high torque servos for it

Top Bottom