Prop YS 120 propeller?

mudbogger

I’m starting a build for a Yak-54 20cc profile plane and I’m considering using a YS 120 nitro engine on it. The engine should fit, it’ll just burn through nitro rather fast. However, it is still a 20cc gas equivalent. One issue I’ve run into is trying to find a propeller for it. From the little research I’ve done it looks like the engine was built for a 15 x 7 prop. But finding a good one designed for gas engines has been kinda tough. I could go up to a 17 x 6 or 17 x 7, just not sure if it would work for it? The airplane is balsa / ply construction with carbon fiber reinforcement; and the wingspan is about 65” (maybe 65.5” with the side force generators on). I’m guessing it’ll run with somewhere between 2-3 horsepower. Just curious on everyone’s thoughts for a 3D setup? I’d also prefer to stay away from 3 bladed props as the traditional 2 bladed props seem to run better (at least in my experience). I already have the servos for it, just need a receiver and propeller - then it should be time to start assembly. Thanks for your help! Happy Flying!

Tony

Staff member
Seems a 16x8 is what is suggested. It should still spin a 17, just have a little more load on the engine, lower RPM. This is where a tach will come in handy.

Question, why not save up for a 20cc gas engine? Insane flight times and I absolutely love the sound of them.

mudbogger

Tony, thanks for the info. I’ve been saving awhile for parts, overall just trying to weigh my options before committing to gas.

RCGF has a 20cc stinger engine that would work fantastic for the airplane as well, I simply haven’t ordered it yet. DLE would also be a option, but I believe you get more for your money with RCGF. They have a little more power, and come with more parts from the factory. While still burning a 30:1 mix for fuel. Just out of curiosity, for a 20cc gas airplane - what kinda flight times are you getting? Maybe 15 minutes with conservative throttle use? I honestly don’t know, I haven’t flown a gas / nitro airplane in awhile.

Tony

Staff member
I don't own a gas model, this is just from what I have seen over the years at local flying fields and on the net. Gas gets quite a bit more flight time, and far less oil on the outside of the plane which to me is worth the extra cost. Nitro is just so nasty lol.

Top Bottom