Quad Can't Take Off

Good evening everyone,
I have finally managed to get 9 mini videos uploaded to youtube. The links are as follows:

6 Beastie Armed

7 Beastie 1

8 Beastie 2

9 Beastie 3

They are in the order of gyro, receiver, motor spin up with computer (no battery), motor spin up with battery, motor spin up with transmitter, quad armed and supposed to be idling at 1080, the beastie doing a cartwheel, the beastie doing another cartwheel, and last me holding the drone down and running the motors with the transmitter to show what is going on some more.
I hope they are accessible. I have had all sorts of hiccups with converting the video files, rotating them and then finally putting them on youtube. No idea what I was doing sorry.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening.

cheers

Grant

Stambo

That's weird everything I see looks right.
In video 6 armed, is self level on or off, it looks like it is trying to level itself, does it stay like that until you disarm it?
Have you changed any PID and filter settings?
What version of Betaflight are you running?
Can you give us some screenshots from betaflight. (Windows snipping tool is perfect for this.)
I'm at work at the moment so it's hard to remember what screens we need to see.
The only time I have had a quad go nut's like that was because PIDs were way too high, that one tried to cut my fingers off so be careful.

Worst case scenario, do you have skype, I might just see something I have missed in the videos.
Would rather sort it here so it may help someone else in the future but if that's what it takes.

Tony

Staff member
Having to slam that Yaw stick to get the bar to move is a little worrying. Almost seems like a pot is bad inside the Tx.

Motor #3 sounds a little funny to me.

In that last video, what the motors were initially doing is normal. It will ramp up two motors if you are going slow and once it sees some yaw, it will ramp the other two to counter the yaw. If you stab the throttle from low to high really fast, they should all 4 spool up the same. I think your computer is a little slow to see this (looking at previous videos you posted) since the bar was jumping all around while you were doing things.

Motor 3 sounds a little weird to me and would be something that I would look into further. Maybe it's not calibrated correctly or maybe it was just a bad motor or ESC. Without having it here, I'm not sure.

That Yaw stick on the Tx though has me very worried. It did nothing in betaflight when you moved it normally. When you stabbed it to one side of the other, then it would move the bar, but only slightly. This is sending up red flags in my mind to never use that controller to fly anything until you know why it is doing that.

The last thing that has me really worried is when you lowered the throttle in that last video. The motor speeds stayed UP and didn't come down until after you kit the disarm switch. This is again a cause for concern.

If you have AIR mode turned on, turn it off and try everything again. You can also try turning off the Accelerometer. This will bypass the gyros (self level) and give you a better feel for what the quad is actually doing.

But keep that Tx in mind, something is not right there.

Stambo

Good catch Tony, I missed that yaw thing, and the lack of response when you dropped the throttle.
I wouldn't go any further until that is sorted.
Do you fly anything else with that transmitter?

Also sustained full throttle with no load is not a good idea.
They spin way faster then they are designed to, may damage bearings.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I had a funny feeling that a video would help out. Somebody, Tony, was able to catch something going wrong. Me, on the other hand, couldn't catch a fly Lol.

Tony

Staff member
I can't catch a fly either. I have to use a plastic perforated square at the end of a twisted metal handle....

Thanks for the info everyone.
This transmitter came with the quad. I have not used it with anything else.
Self level is off.
The yaw issue has been there from the start. It won't move unless you stab the control and even then it is all or nothing. The throttle control also has a mind of it's own. All motors spin up differently and often don't return to idle when the throttle is cut. The pitch and roll controller appears much more consistent with the control. When armed the quad can act like the video on the carpet one time and the next like the cartwheel jobs. No engine speed seems controllable. When you stab the throttle up the motors speed up sometimes and then other times nothing happens.
I have a radiolink transmitter and receiver for my L160 quad. I know this sounds too simple, but would it be worth taking the receiver out of this quad and seeing if it functions normally in the horrible little beastie??? If I do this do I have to reset the quad up through Betaflight for the different receiver.

By the way, I ordered a new throttle gimble a few days ago from Bangood and was going to try that as well.

Stambo, I dont have Skype but have facetime if that is any use?

cheers

Grant

Tony

Staff member
You can try the other system, can't hurt. And yes, you are going to have to set it all up again. If it were me, I would not use that controller on anything else until it is repaired or replaced.

G'day everyone,
Run into another problem. I connected the radiolink receiver (R8EF), altered the settings from ibus to sbus, matched all the settings from the L160 quad on Betaflight, and bound the transmitter. It all appears normal, but no communication when attempting to operate the transmitter. The T8TB transmitter has no on board screen to assess the settings. Can anyone offer me some advice on how to set up the transmitter please?

Tony

Staff member
You shouldn't 'match settings'. Every model will have unique settings. If you are not able to arm the quad (I think that is what you are saying...), lower your throttle sub trim.

G'day Tony

I am trying to arm the quad, but I also can't get Betaflight to work from my transmitter. If Betaflight recognises the transmitter, I assume that you can set the arming process through the mode selection.
I don't know what throttle sub trim is. Is it part of Betaflight or a control on the transmitter?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.

cheers
Grant

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Grant. Yes you do set the arming through the mode section in betaflight. The throttle sub trim is located on the TX where my finger is IMG_4329.JPG Take that all the way down. Hope this help some.

Tony

Staff member
Actually what Ivan was showing you want trim, but should work. Sub trim is in the transmitter.

G'day again everyone
Sorry about the gap in communications. My father passed away Monday and I have been somewhat preoccupied since then.

Problem:
(1) I have been unable to figure out this sub-trim approach using the Radiolink transmitter. I have attached some pics to show you what the transmitter looks like. There is no onboard display like the Flysky FS-ia6. I was able to find sub-trim in the FS-ia6 transmitter with no problems. I am guessing that there must be software somewhere that I can load into my computer to adjust the settings in the Radiolink transmitter. I am just unable to find anything I can understand. The Radiolink site is pretty hard to find stuff in, and some files I thought may help would not download. Any direction here would be most welcome.

(2) Now getting back to the problem-child FS-ia6 transmitter, I found in the display of the channel and stick operation, the yaw stick does not show any action. Would this be a set up thing or does it suggest a faulty component in the transmitter. I have attached a link to show what I mean.

As usual all help is really appreciated.
cheers

Grant

Attachments

• IMG_2638 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2638 (640x480).jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2639 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2639 (640x480).jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2640 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2640 (640x480).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1

Tony

Staff member
Hey Grant, sorry to hear about your father. My condolences to you and your family.

Yea, there is something wrong with the pots in that transmitter. I will bet if you jam the yaw to the right or left like you were doing in a previous video that it would show movement. I would not use that Tx on any model whatsoever.

For the other Tx, you will need a cable to connect to the port in the back of the Tx. I have a feeling this is going to be a little clunky to use just from what I saw with the PDF. But, if you scroll down to the bottom of the PDF (Page 15), you will see where you can adjust the subtrim in that Tx. Below is the link to the manual.

https://www.robotshop.com/media/files/pdf2/t8fb_2.4g_8ch_remote_control_system2016.5.30.pdf

RandyDSok

I am guessing that there must be software somewhere that I can load into my computer to adjust the settings in the Radiolink transmitter.

I have never heard of software that can adjust a transmitter's settings... probably a bad assumption to make.

Tony

Staff member
It's one of the cheaper Tx's out there, and rather than put a screen and driver inside the Tx, they just have you program it on the computer. Kind of like an Ikon gyro, or even the 3GX. The 3GX is what that software reminds me of lol.

Top Bottom