Cable Modem/router Question

murankar

Staff member
Yep, I was going to try and aggregate my four main lines coming in on fe0/1-fe0/4. Yeah that didn't work at all.

Tony

Staff member
I need to either buy a server rack, or build one. I have my server and my switch sitting on top of plastic shelves, and they started to buckle. They would have fell, however the ethernet cable to my surveillance DVR held them lmao. Now, I have my old Dell server under the switch that keeps them propped up.... So yea, I need a rack in a very bad way.

RandyDSok

I'd post up pics of a server room setup that blows Tony's away... only the lights in the room are off and all I can see are the power, activity and status lights up and down the rack

Tony

Staff member
Well, that would be accurate, IF I had a rack hahaha. I can hear the hum of the switch PSU's though lmao.

bigone5500

Just wondering...if I take a router that is normally designed to be laid flat and mount it vertically, how will that affect the range/power?

Tony

Staff member
If it has antennas in it that are made for flat orientation, then you could lose some range out the top and bottom of the router, but side to side will stay teh same. However most routers use "rubber ducky" style antennas that broadcast in all directions, so you will not see much affect.

bigone5500

The one I am talking about is the E4200. I finally got it mounted outside and can now get wifi out a little farther. Verizon 4G sucks now where I am at. It used to be top notch but in the last couple/three years they have declined in performance.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I gave up on cellular data at my house. Everything goes through my internet, including calls.

bigone5500

This is the box I used. It's lockable so to deter thieves.

Attachments

• 20201011_134244.jpg
    20201011_134244.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom