Projects Derek's new project: The Snow Skidder

wolfman76

Really only thing i am waiting on is the programing card for the esc. .. gonna use the 85amp turnigy of the 500 and i believe i am going to Dunn a setup with 2 6s 4000mah nano tech packs for a combined mah of 8000mah do you know how to hook them up like that Derek out anyone else. .. I think after all the packing tape is on the beast it should float for summer water play also. ... hehehe

Last edited:

EyeStation

Finished the main deck last night and started the rear fin and two rudders. ..

View attachment 9763

Here is mock up of the motor and tower and rear fin...
Just making sure I have my perspective correct. Is that a grown man on the floor on the first pic? lol It is a biggy!
If I understand you correct you want a 8000mah setup from 2 6S 4000 mah packs. You will want your connections in parallel, both reds together and both blacks together and connected to the ESC like that. This would keep the voltage at the 6S level but double the current capability.

Derek

I just took my Skidder out in the snow in the yard. It does real well until I make a turn. The snow is wet so the Skidder just kinda sticks in one spot and won't move. I'll try again later when the snow stops coming down. I have nearly 13" of snow in my back yard and the snow that's coming down is wet and heavy. It's suppose snow like this until late this evening.

wolfman76

hey derek you think i could get you to do a video on the programming setup for the edf i can't find anything on youtube that show the proper setting using the programming card??

Tony

Staff member
You can use brake on or off, doesn't matter. There really isn't much to it. Make sure you have it on quick spool up though.

Derek

I didn't do any programming. I just swiped the esc from one of my planes and hooked it all up. My esc is programmed to have the brake "ON" but that's all that I had done. I just hooked up the rudder to the aileron to the onboard gyro, via an extension. That extension is plugged into the aileron channel on my OrangeRx. That's about it.

Derek

If you need me to upload a video that shows how I did my setup, I can do it. Just let me know, specifically, what you want to see or if you'd just like to see what I did with each wire. No problem!! :)

Derek

Here is a short video of how I did the wires on my Snow Skidder. it couldn't be much simpler....I think, lol.

As Tony mentioned, the esc can run the EDF with the brake enabled or disabled. Mine is enabled. Also, have the start up programmed for soft/slow start up. I hope this helps!

Snow Skidder Wires - YouTube

wolfman76

thanks that gives me a starting point i just got to figure out if i did sumthin wrong when i programmed the esc for the edf or not maybe it just the pack was low

Derek

Slow start on an EDF? That is the first I have ever heard of anyone using that...

Thanks for catching that, Tony! My mistake...definitely was fast spool up programmed into the ESC. I'm sitting here tending to my little girl while reading about programming my esc on my 600. I must have had the two topics mixed. Sorry about that! Post 108, of this thead, clearly shows that Tony said "fast spool up".

It's been a long day!

Tony

Staff member
Give it a couple months and she will start sleeping through the night. Hopefully sooner. It's all good.

Derek

thanks that gives me a starting point i just got to figure out if i did sumthin wrong when i programmed the esc for the edf or not maybe it just the pack was low

Well, definitely check the voltage of your packs. If they are less than 3.6v per cell, it's time to charge them up and try again.

wolfman76

Finally gout my nano tech charged full turns out the power supply was putting out less then 11v which was causing the input volume error. .. and i changed some settings inn the esc also. .. I ask using my 1000 amp jump starter portable pack right now until i get a new power supply up and running. .

Last edited:

Stambo

Finally gout my nano tech charged full turns out the power supply was putting out less then 11v which was causing the input volume error. .. and i changed some settings inn the esc also. .. I ask using my 1000 amp jump starter portable pack right now until i get a new power supply up and running. .

I was gonna build a power supply until I came across this at Banggood.

wolfman76

YEH RAH!!!!!! finally got it figured out and let me tell you this edf has got some massive thrust i mean HOLY CRAP!!!!!! i could not even throttle it up to 1/4 throttle and it was already pushing my hand and blew the trim ring off the front of the edf turns out my rx was not bound right to start off with second why my edf would not start was because the throttle trim was at 1/2 so once i turned that down and i only noticed it by accident the heart of the BEAST awoke..... as soon as i finish assembly i will have video of the BEAST in action we are getting covered in a fresh white powder blanket as i type right now suppose to get about 4-6" more on top of what we already got nowso should be perfect layer of snow for the first run i think i will have to put some sort of downforce wing on it considering i don't think it will be an exagiration that this giant skidder could see speeds of over 50-60 mph no radar gun to know for sure but i am sure video will tell all...

Top Bottom