Projects Derek's new project: The Snow Skidder

Tony

Staff member
Bro, you get me some dimentions, and I will make this into a PDF plan. That thing is bad ass lol. Makes me want to build one. But, we don't get snow that often out here.

Derek

There are so many variations that I can see for this type of rc model. I think, if someone wanted to build this, they could take a look at mine and start building one with their own methods and ideas. Gerald looked like he was off to a great start with his and he used an outrunner and prop. I've never had an EDF on any model. That's why I used the EDF on my Skidder and I have to say....it is fun! It's just wicked cool to see that thing coming at me and screaming as it passes by at full throttle. Just awesome!

I just got done adding the flat bottom to the Snow Skidder. It looks pretty cool! Tomorrow's forecast is still cold and they are even talking about another 2-4 inches of snow, so I should be able to get some more runs from the Skidder and I will get video. It really is a pretty cool ground model. I'm going to put the sticks in my wife's hands and let her have a run at it. I think she'll like playing with it, too.

Stay tuned for more video!

wolfman76

Man that thing is wicked fast. ... guess i might have to do the flat bottom thing with the big one i am making... I could tell that you weren't giving it full throttle too but i think as big as the one i am building i will have to do atleast two or three rudders... it is boggling that your is that quick on a 3s 2200mah and mine will be 6s 4000mah

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Really cool derrick! I'll have to check out my spare parts and see what I can come up with. That looked like fun!

Lee

Derek, that is fantastic. I don't think you need to change a thing.
The gyro seems to give it rock solid directional stability. And the single rudder has plenty of authority that i was worried about.
Awesome job mate. :thumbsup:

Derek

Man that thing is wicked fast. ... guess i might have to do the flat bottom thing with the big one i am making... I could tell that you weren't giving it full throttle too but i think as big as the one i am building i will have to do atleast two or three rudders... it is boggling that your is that quick on a 3s 2200mah and mine will be 6s 4000mah

I was very impressed with the speed that it would do. I knew it would have some "get-up-and-go" but it was definitely faster than I had imagined. I'm happy with it, so far. I did add a flat bottom to the Skidder. I'm hoping the flat bottom will help the Skidder stay on top of the surface that it's running on (packed snow, fluffy snow, snowy grass, etc). The pontoons that I had worked well on the packed snow but the Skidder really bogged down in the 1/2" fluffy snow. I'm really looking forward to seeing your 80mm EDF on 6S. You'd better hold tight, lol!!!

Really cool derrick! I'll have to check out my spare parts and see what I can come up with. That looked like fun!

Thanks Sam! It really was a lot of fun. This test run was with my cousin and his two kids. All three were super impressed with the Skidder, despite the 15 degree temps, lol.

Derek, that is fantastic. I don't think you need to change a thing.
The gyro seems to give it rock solid directional stability. And the single rudder has plenty of authority that i was worried about.
Awesome job mate. :thumbsup:

Thanks Lee! This thing is awesome! The only one thing that I did change was I added a flat bottom. Everything else is the same. I love the use of the gyro. I am sure that I wouldn't be able to keep it going in a straight line without the gyro. It's amazing! And it's nice that I can make the changes to the gyro from my DX8. It's still plenty cold here and there is more snow to come this afternoon and tonight. More video to come as I test run the Skidder with the flat bottom.

That looks wicked fun, nice one Derek.

Thanks Kev! I think I impressed myself with this model. It's just a bunch of scrap stuff that I had around the house from other projects and it turned out really well. I think my wife wants to have a go with the Skidder. The question is, am I going to let her have a go? You bet I am, lol. I think she'll have a blast with it.

Thanks for watching the video guys! More to come!

Ken Jackson

Good stuff Derek. Amazing turning capability.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

If you go to a flat bottom I don't think it will turn as well. The pontoon's bite into the snow, a flat bottom may just cause it to spin instead of turn.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
He could put some runners under it to keep it in a straight line. As I told Derek, when I saw this skidder of his, I thought of an air boat for the swamps. If you look at those, they have the little runners on them as well.

Gerald

Just watched the video Derek :yourock: :thumbsup: That thing is very stable and it looks like it comes around the turns nice and tight! I hope to get mine out in the snow soon, we are expecting 3 to 5 inches tomorow night, I don't want to jack your thread with what I built, but there really is no other topic like this on RCH! You have a great, fun project going and what intrest you have peaked on here! Looking forward to seeing some guys build this and lets see your wife take the wheel! :yahoo:

Derek

Good stuff Derek. Amazing turning capability.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

If you go to a flat bottom I don't think it will turn as well. The pontoon's bite into the snow, a flat bottom may just cause it to spin instead of turn.

Ken

Thanks Ken! I really don't know what to expect from the flat bottom...but I'm going to find out. Even with the pontoons, when I did a turn, the tail end slid out. Of course, I was running the Skidder on a narrow street. In a parking lot, I will be able to try actual turns and we'll see what happens.

He could put some runners under it to keep it in a straight line. As I told Derek, when I saw this skidder of his, I thought of an air boat for the swamps. If you look at those, they have the little runners on them as well.

I'm going to try the Skidder, today, with just the flat bottom and we'll see what happens. Even before the first test run, I was thinking about runners of some sort underneath but I didn't want to add too much and complicate things without testing the Skidder first. I'll run it today with the new flat bottom and see what happens. It may need the runners, it may not. That gyro was really holding well yesterday.

Just watched the video Derek :yourock: :thumbsup: That thing is very stable and it looks like it comes around the turns nice and tight! I hope to get mine out in the snow soon, we are expecting 3 to 5 inches tomorow night, I don't want to jack your thread with what I built, but there really is no other topic like this on RCH! You have a great, fun project going and what intrest you have peaked on here! Looking forward to seeing some guys build this and lets see your wife take the wheel! :yahoo:

Thank you, Gerald, for the kind comment. This thing was a lot of fun yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying out the flat bottom today. Personally, I don't mind that you have posted your Skidder on my thread. No big deal to me. If you wanted your own thread for your own Skidder, just do what I did and go to the Project section of the Cars, Trucks, and Boats and start your own thread. Either way makes no difference to me. I hope you get some snow so that you can try out your Skidder. From what I saw in your video, it looks like you are off to a great start. Just be ready to add some expo to the steering.

And you can bet that my wife will give the Skidder a run today and I'll get video of her.

treff

What made me smile Derek is when you said it was "cool" LOL with all that snow around I bet it was cool. Brilliant project and boy does that think move. I was surprised it does not get airbourne, or is that the next stage?
Great to watch. Cheers

Derek

Yeah treff...it was 15 degrees F here yesterday (-9 degrees C) and the wind was blowing a bit. it was quite "cool", lol. But...the Skidder was a lot of fun and my spectators enjoyed seeing it run. If the Skidder were to get enough speed, I'm sure it would lift off the ground. That is not my intent at all, lol. I want it kept on the ground. I do have some down force from the ramped battery compartment as well as a bit of down-angle on the EDF. All my electronics are mostly centered on the Skidder, so I'm sure that helps with a bit of nose weight. I'd like to get a 4S lipo and run the Skidder and see what happens. So far, I am quite happy with it.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video. More to come!

EyeStation

Thanks for the inspiration Derek, and the feedback of the rest of you.
I put a false bottom between the skids reducing their height from the lower bed of the sled to just over 1/8".
Here is the sleds introduction. Remember, this is an old brushed FM setup.
[video=youtube_share;N7k0jX4Wvxk]http://youtu.be/N7k0jX4Wvxk[/video]

Derek

Yeah buddy!!! That's awesome! I love the lights! Nice job!

I wrecked my Skidder today....was going full throttle and it stopped abruptly when it hit a car tire, lol. Damage is minimal and repairable.

Derek

ha ha ha!!! Gerald, that is awesome! Nice job! I'm looking forward to seeing some video of yours in action!

I had my Skidder out yesterday for a few minutes. My wife was getting ready to turn on the camera and I slammed, full throttle, into a tire of a parked car. The damage really is minimal. I already have it fixed and ready for more. Unfortunately, I'm getting ready to leave for work right now so I won't get to play with my Skidder again until tomorrow. Have fun buddy!!!

Top Bottom