Projects Derek's new project: The Snow Skidder

EyeStation

I wonder if we can take advantage of the Elevator channel and put a forward flap on the front to keep the nose level? Or even a fixed wing on the rudder as a full time nose down force?

wolfman76

Those are some ideas all i know it's this monstrosity is going to scream. .. to give you an idea of the sheer power this edf has look up test run videos on YouTube of the 80mm eflite delta v 32 and it has the matching inrunner for it. ..

Derek

I'm going to add a bit of foam board to the top of the rear shroud, at an angle, in hopes it gives down force pressure. I'm also hoping that the slope of the "cockpit" on my Skidder will help give down force on the front. Although, if the nose does get brought up enough, I can still see the air getting underneath the whole Skidder and this thing just launching. I hope not, but I can see it happening, lol.

Ken Jackson

Just a thought Derek but how about a fixed pitch elevator to hold nose down. Just seems like it's going to want to float the nose the first big bump/hill it hits. Eyestation yours looks heavy enough to keep the nose down but it looks top heavy. (Tipy side to side) ?

ken

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you both get video. You may start a new RC sport, hey I know RC snowmobiles, HaHa.

Tony

Staff member
On the race boats, they have a wing on the front of the boat to adjust downforce. Maybe a gyro would help here with that wing on teh elevator channel so that not only will it keep level, but you can MAKE it launch into the air just to show off lmao.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Yes hydro plane boats have a wing on them in front! The way you guys have the bottoms make like a cat style boat, air is going to get underneath them. Depends on how fast they run. On a catermeran performance boat, the hulls are designed to capture air under the hull thus lifting the hull out of the water. This makes the boat light in the water thus creating speed. This is the main reason a cat is faster than a deep v. I think if I were to build one of these snow sliders I would make it a flat bottom. Even then I like the idea of a wing on the front to hold it down.

Derek

On the race boats, they have a wing on the front of the boat to adjust downforce. Maybe a gyro would help here with that wing on teh elevator channel so that not only will it keep level, but you can MAKE it launch into the air just to show off lmao.

This is a good idea! I may play around with this today!

Derek

I have snow on the ground! I have snow on the ground. It's only about 1/2" of snow, but I have snow on the ground. I'll be back later with some video!!!

wolfman76

Here is the motor tower with edf housing and skids plus the hs-485hb deluxe servo with karbonite gears. ..huh it as out crashed attaching photos through forum runner but they are here

ForumRunner_20131231_183049.png

ForumRunner_20131231_183202.png

ForumRunner_20131231_183226.png

ForumRunner_20131231_183327.png

ForumRunner_20131231_183404.png

ForumRunner_20131231_183417.png

Derek

I don't know what this means...

Yeah, I think we need some clarification on this encrypted message, lol

Ok, I did take my Snow Skidder out today for some first run testing. I have to say, I am impressed! It was a good deal of fun. I have to do a bit of editing on the video that was taken, due to language from my spectators, lol, but I will get the video uploaded sometime tonight.

I am going to make some changes to the bottom. It's going to have a flat bottom. The skidder was doing really well on the street where the snow was packed down but once it got into the fluffy snow, it struggled to get going. I think the flat bottom will really help so that the Skidder stays on top of the surface that it's trying to run on. I need to add some expo to the steering and dial down the gyro gain just a bit.

Anyway, like I said, I'll get the video uploaded tonight after a bit of editing.

Derek

I'm uploading the test run video of the Snow Skidder to Youtube right now. I'll get it on the forum in a few minutes!

Derek

The upload went faster than I thought it would. Here are some details about my Snow Skidder:

20 inches long, 9 inches wide
64mm EDF with 40amp esc
OrangeRx receiver
3S 2200mAh 30C lipo
one servo to control the rudder, this servo is plugged into the aileron channel for steering instead of the rudder channel.
E-flite 11.0G G110 Micro Heading Lock Gyro to help keep the Skidder in a straight line, set in Rate Mode

The Snow Skidder was made from some Dollar Tree foam board scraps that I had. No plans were followed. I just built this from an image that I had in my head.

Snow Skidder Test in Snow - YouTube :thumbsup::hdbng:

Despite the fact that the Snow Skidder is not an "RCH" model, I love the RCH community, I love the RCH people, so I put the RCH decals on my Skidder. I think they look rather good on the sides, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom