Projects Derek's new project: The Snow Skidder

Tony

Staff member
Dammit Derek, get this thing outside on teh grass and start testing!!! As you can see we all have great ideas for this thing, but we need you to test it lmao. We are itching to see this thing in action!

Derek

Dammit Derek, get this thing outside on teh grass and start testing!!! As you can see we all have great ideas for this thing, but we need you to test it lmao. We are itching to see this thing in action!

I think you may be right, Tony! It seems that I have really peaked the interest and imagination of several people. I had no idea that this Skidder would get this much attention.

There is a local ice skating rink, somewhere here in town. I may have to find it and see if I can run my Skidder out there for some test runs.

Tony

Staff member
well here is the thing. If it will run on dead dry grass, it will run on the snow. That 64mm EDF has more than enough power to push it I think, but there is only one way to find out lol.

1336708207_MAUIVENTS.jpg

1336708207_MAUIVENTS.jpg

Derek

I'd keep something akin to skids to bite into the snow. It may not be the best for slow speed maneuverability, but to get any kind of speed out of it with some control I'd think you'd need them. What you may find, though, is that you can go with something more subtle than the pontoons you have on there.

Will be interesting to see what you come up with in testing!

I'm thinking about using some cut down gift cards, to act as guides, on the underside of the pontoons at the rear. This should help with steering at high speeds. The question is, will it really help? Don't know yet.

I would kinda think the clearance is needed under the main plank to keep the front edge from catching and digging in. All I can think with a flat bottom is knifing into the snow and creating more of a snow shovel than a skidder.
Also wonder what keeps this from flipping over when the air gets under the front end. Makes me think about getting out a 2 cell from a touring car to toss on the front.

My original intent for this Skidder was to run it around on the street or parking lots after the snow has been packed down. Not really running it in the fluffy/deep snow. However, I do think that if this Skidder were a flat bottom, it would sit on top of the snow better than with the pontoons...I think. As far as what keeps it from flipping over when the air gets under the front end. I'm hoping the ramped cockpit will help push the nose down and I'm going to add some more angle to the top of the rear shroud to give down force. Will it still flip if enough wind gets underneath? Most definitely....especially if I do add the flat bottom. A bit more nose weight may come in handy.

well here is the thing. If it will run on dead dry grass, it will run on the snow. That 64mm EDF has more than enough power to push it I think, but there is only one way to find out lol.

View attachment 9630

It would probably handle some of the frost grass that I have here. I'll see about taking it out for a few tests before I go to work today.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah buddy! You will actually have more punch than derek since you are using a prop and not an EDF. As I told him, take this thing out on the grass and give it a go! We MUST see ONE of these in action!!!

Derek

Well done, Gerald!!! It looks good! The weather forecast is calling for a bit of snow next week. Hopefully it enough to have some snow fun. Good luck with yours!!!

Derek

I watched the video on Youtube and I sub'd to you. Great job, Gerald! It looks like we are both waiting on snow now.

Gerald

Thanks Derek, I need to cover it with packing tape yet, and get new props! broke 3 playing with it!

Gotta see yours running it is a much neater build, I like the EDF just don't have one!

Need some other people to build and experiment with these!

wolfman76

Hmmmmm I have been looking for somethin to put my 80mm eflite edf on... moo ha ha ha ha n I got plenty of dollar tree foam board. ... what still you think Derek? Can you say 1/4 scale snow skidder?

Derek

Hmmmmm I have been looking for somethin to put my 80mm eflite edf on... moo ha ha ha ha n I got plenty of dollar tree foam board. ... what still you think Derek? Can you say 1/4 scale snow skidder?

80mm edf? Do it! Get out the hot glue and packing tape. I wanna see a Skidder that is 3' long and 18" wide, lol.

Derek

I'm hoping it performs as well as it looks. I also hope that I don't destroy it during testing, lol.

wolfman76

is 2 1/2' ok i believe the dollar tree board is only 28"x30" unless i tape end to end and double up at the seems... and i am guess with an 80mm edf i will have to add a downforce spoiler on the front to keep it from lifting off cuz this thing will be lightning fast with or without snow i am guessing....:goodevil::goodevil::goodevil::goodevil::goodevil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::onthego::onthego::onthego::onthego::onthego::onthego:

EyeStation

Don't wanns jack your thread, but until we get one dedicated to this community build, I'll have to post the start of my build here.
Thanks for the inspiration, Derek.
Using the guts from my AeroBird Swift, brushed, AM radio system. I luck out on a few accounts. My DX6i doesn't have the room, the Swift is no longer airborne, and I can ust Tx, Rx/esc, and servo from the Swift.
Here is the Youtube vid of the build in progress.
[video=youtube_share;pE_6ZijVOXA]http://youtu.be/pE_6ZijVOXA[/video]

Updates showing almost final mounting. Then I was tormented by "Little People".
Full Monty.jpgSlide View.jpgUnmentionables.jpg

Full Monty.jpg

Slide View.jpg

Unmentionables.jpg

Last edited:

Derek

is 2 1/2' ok i believe the dollar tree board is only 28"x30" unless i tape end to end and double up at the seems... and i am guess with an 80mm edf i will have to add a downforce spoiler on the front to keep it from lifting off cuz this thing will be lightning fast with or without snow i am guessing....:goodevil::goodevil::goodevil::goodevil::goodevil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::onthego::onthego::onthego::onthego::onthego::onthego:

Sheets of Dollar Tree foam board are 20x30". You just go ahead and make it however you want to make it. I'm just thinking that with an 80mm edf, size is going to be more important, lol. Just have fun with it. There are no rules nor guidelines. Just have fun!

Don't wanns jack your thread, but until we get one dedicated to this community build, I'll have to post the start of my build here.
Thanks for the inspiration, Derek.
Using the guts from my AeroBird Swift, brushed, AM radio system. I luck out on a few accounts. My DX6i doesn't have the room, the Swift is no longer airborne, and I can ust Tx, Rx/esc, and servo from the Swift.
Here is the Youtube vid of the build in progress.

That really looks good, Eyestation! I see some very familiar techniques being used, lol. Outstanding! I like the idea of the mylar sheeting on the front and underside. Should be very slick. I think it's awesome that you've decided to make one of these Skidders, too. I had no idea that I'd get others to do what I did. Just awesome! The weather forecast is calling for a bit of snow tonight and tomorrow. I'm off work til Thursday so I'm hoping for some snow and some charged batteries, lol.

wolfman76

Here is the start of the pontoons they will be 2.5"x36" long after glued together the extra foam in the photo i Am thinking of cutting in half and cutting out a round spot for the edf too mount to. .

ForumRunner_20131229_190336.png
Overall this will be 36"x20"

ForumRunner_20131229_190336.png

Derek

I woudl make the 80mm as small as I could. That thing would be fun as hell lmao.

lol...I just can't wrap my head around an 80mm edf, lol. That's going to be awesome!!!

Here is the start of the pontoons they will be 2.5"x36" long after glued together the extra foam in the photo i Am thinking of cutting in half and cutting out a round spot for the edf too mount to. Overall this will be 36"x20"

That looks like you are well on your way, kyle. Good luck buddy!

Top Bottom