Micro Nano CPX frame replacement (and some helpful mods)

pvolcko

So after a many many flights I had managed to break a couple of the canopy studs from the frame. I had been gluing them for a while but it got to the point it was time to replace the frame, which means stripping everything down and building it back up. While I was at it I replaced the tail boom assembly since the boom had split and vibrating pretty badly, as well as the main motor (brushed motor, had 100+ flights on it, many stalls before I was able to hit the TH switch, etc.). You can see the main motor replacement as a separate thread here: Nano CPX main motor replacement.

1-8) Follow steps 1-8 in the main motor replacement thread. Go ahead and remove the main gear before pressing the motor out of the frame.

9) Remove the rotor head and swash from the main shaft. Remove the two screws holding the head on the main shaft (careful, very easy to drop and lose these). Pop the servo-swash connector links from the swash, remove the left and right connector links from the servos, taking care not to turn the ball link ends on the connector arms (don't want to screw up the swash leveling at reassembly).
IMG_1976_800w.jpg

10) Lift the rotor head and swash off the main shaft by pulling at the base of the rotor head. Do not pull on the rotor blade holders, you may damage the spindle or the holders themselves. Pull on the link guides (circled) or more toward the hub between these guides.
IMG_1977_800w.jpg

11) If you haven't done so already, pull the main gear off the main shaft. Pull the main shaft out the top of the frame and bearings.
IMG_1979_800w.jpg
IMG_1980_800w.jpg

12) Unwind the tail motor wires from the canopy stud and pull the tail boom assembly from the frame. Grasp the tail boom firmly and the back of the frame which holds the tail boom, it will likely be in there pretty tight.
IMG_1981_800w.jpg
IMG_1982_800w.jpg

13) Remove the screws securing the rear (elevator) servo to the frame. Remove the servo from the frame. You will have to angle it out of there. Take care not to lose the servo arm once the servo is out of its cage.
IMG_1983_800w.jpg
IMG_1984_800w.jpg

14) Remove the right servo from the frame. This will free the control board and attached servos from the frame entirely.
IMG_1985_800w.jpg
IMG_1986_800w.jpg

15) Remove the left servo from the frame.
IMG_1987_800w.jpg

16) Only the main shaft bearings remain. They are only held in by friction, to pop them out with the tweezers or screwdriver from the center of the frame. Note the direction of the bearings for reassembly. They should have the bearing "guts" visible from the bottom and top, respectively.
IMG_1989_800w.jpg

That ends the tear down. If you're doing a straight frame replacement, then that's it, do it all in reverse (16-1) using the new frame for reassembly.

The rest of this post includes some additional items I did.

On the tail boom, the wires for the motor are kind of exposed and vulnerable in crashes. I found this out the hard way on my 120SR. I read of the idea of using heat-shrink to add some protection and it has worked great, so I do this on both the 120SR and nCPX. Alternatively, you could use a few layers of liquid electrical tape to make a less obtrusive protective layer. But be careful not to get any in the motor via any holes in the back of the motor.
IMG_1990_800w.jpgIMG_1991_800w.jpgIMG_1992_800w.jpg

The next mod directly addresses the issue that caused this whole effort: broken canopy studs. I read it on this forum, so props to whoever came up with it! Purposely cut the studs off at the half way point and reattach with heat-shrink (and maybe a dab of zap goo at the joint). I decided to try it first with my broken frame.
IMG_1993_800w.jpg
IMG_1994_800w.jpg

Found that the plastic of the frame is very easy to heat up. Have to shrink the tubing with quick passes and some blowing to cool off between passes, to keep the frame plastic from becoming, well, plastic.

I only did this on three of the studs. The one with the anti-rotation guide is very sturdy and doesn't really offer enough material to do a sacrificial cut. Also, instead of cutting clear through the stud, I left a very small bit of plastic connecting the stud halves. After heat-shrinking, I broke the tabs. This resulted in a very tight, yet bendable, connection to the outer stud. Tighter than the test attempt where I cut the outer part of the stud off entirely and then tried to reattach via the heat-shrink and a dab of glue. Also, if the studs should work loose, it will be possible to reapply new heat-shrink or use the existing shrink as a vessel for glue which should make a very secure connection to the stud end. All-in-all I really like this mod. Have yet to see if it works in practice (almost wishing for a crash?), but I have high hopes.
IMG_1995_800w.jpg

End with some reassembly pics:
IMG_1996_800w.jpgIMG_1997_800w.jpg

With the heat shrink in place on the stud, the antenna no longer fits around the stud. Have to expand the coil a bit, careful not to bend the solder point connection much.
IMG_1998_800w.jpg

Careful on the rear/elevator servo wire. I accidentally ran it over the stud, it needs to go under.
IMG_1999_800w.jpg

Note the route of the main motor wire, around the left side and over the servo wires.
IMG_2000_800w.jpg

All done!
IMG_2001_800w.jpg

IMG_1976_800w.jpg

IMG_1977_800w.jpg

IMG_1978_800w.jpg

IMG_1979_800w.jpg

IMG_1980_800w.jpg

IMG_1981_800w.jpg

IMG_1982_800w.jpg

IMG_1983_800w.jpg

IMG_1984_800w.jpg

IMG_1985_800w.jpg

IMG_1986_800w.jpg

IMG_1987_800w.jpg

IMG_1989_800w.jpg

IMG_1990_800w.jpg

IMG_1991_800w.jpg

IMG_1992_800w.jpg

IMG_1993_800w.jpg

IMG_1994_800w.jpg

IMG_1995_800w.jpg

IMG_1996_800w.jpg

IMG_1997_800w.jpg

IMG_1998_800w.jpg

IMG_1999_800w.jpg

IMG_2000_800w.jpg

IMG_2001_800w.jpg

pvolcko

Yeah, you're right. Got into pulling things apart. :) I'd edit the post but no option for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also that would save you from having to use a bit of pitch subtrim to level pitch again. Pulling the head will result in a slight difference in position when you put it back on. Can mark it on the main shaft to help avoid that.

Lastly, when reassembling put the servo links on the top hole of the servo.

Wolfman

Thanks pvolcko I just ordered a new frame, landing gear, and tail boom for my son's nano, so I'll be doing this soon!

pvolcko

Hope the walk through helps.

If you're planning to try the canopy stud mod, after some time with it I have some further suggestions: After a crash always check to make sure the stud ends are in the shrink tube. They pop out a bit easy. Could possibly reduce that by slightly melting the removable stud end (where it was cut) and making a slight bulb. Let it cool and then put it in the shrink wrap and shrink it down. The bulb will help secure it in the shinkwrap. May be able to do it with some CA or zap goo or other adhesive. Build up a couple layers so it will provide resistance to popping loose of the shrunk shrink tube. Also, be careful not to go nuts with the heat either when shrinking or melting. This plastic will become pliable and melt very easily. Practice on the old frame first.

My nano has taken a beating as of late. It's gotten to the point where it will no longer initialize and handshake with the transmitter. Don't know if it is the main board or a servo or what causing the problem and I'm wondering if it make sense to bother repairing it. Might wait the summer and see what micros come out and then pick up something new for indoors in the winter. In the meantime I'll call up horizon hobby and see what the troubleshooting procedure is for this kind of problem. See if the board will initialize with the motors and servos disconnected so I can at least verify if it is the board or something else.

Wolfman

So far he hasn't broken any canopy studs yet so I think I'll skip that one, but I am sure the break down will help.
Thanks
Randy

Wolfman

pvolcko: I got the frame swap and tail boom done without issues! I have a question, how do you level the swash plate on these? I have it close but it still needs a little but I am afraid of running out of threads. The aileron seems to be lower than the other side. Could the servo be bad or going bad Any ideas?

pvolcko

Are you sure? With these small helis it is easy to have optical illusions come into play. My canopy sits a little off level so my swash actually looks off, but in reality it is fine.

Did you have to replace the links or a ball link? I didn't have to do any leveling since I used the originals, kept them matched to their servos and didn't change the ball link positions at all.

First, make sure you're using the top hole in the servo sliders and that all three are using that same top hole. There are three holes in the servo sliders and it is easy to get one off.

If you need to setup a new link or have adjusted them: Since the link lengths are supposed to be the same I'd measure each to make sure they're the same. If you need to adjust them you need to find which is the correct length for getting 0 pitch on the blades at midstick. Rotate the rotors around, lining one of the blade swash-blade links up with each swash-servo connection point (use the same blade for this at each of the three points), select the one that gives you closest to 0 pitch on the blade. If they're all off, find the closest and adjust it until you get 0. You will have to eyeball it. It can help to tighten the grip to the blade and move the blade 90 degrees to the head instead of straight out from the grip. This will give you a long line to judge pitch angle by. Once you have the link selected/set, adjust the other servo-swash links to match that link length.

Another way: find the one closest to 0 pitch and just set the others to that length, don't bother trying to get that master link to 0 pitch mechanically (this only works if it is only a degree or two off). Then use pitch subtrim to get it to 0. Unlike a normal flybarless controller, with these 3-in-1 Blade controllers you can use pitch subtrim to get things at 0. You can either set it visually or set it by ear. For the later I put the heli into midstick and then put it in idle up (or assign a throttle cut of 50% or so to the trainer button). If you move slightly up or down from midstick you will hear the sound change and you'll be able to hear where the head is spinning the fastest with the least blade noise. Use subtrim to get that noise at midstick.

Wolfman

Well I found out he had replaced a servo and the tail boom and had not been able to get it to fly after that. He had tried the solid tail boom and he didn't do something right! I adjusted the swash plate and finally got it to come up and hover pretty steady! First for me!!! Then picked up a new problem the rotor will not start unless you spin it, a couple times of that and now it won't lift off even with a fresh battery! This is the original motor and he has flown the thing quite a bit, so I am thinking the motor died! Oh I wish it was a BNF one so I could set the trims on it, but it has the controller with it, so that stunk.

pvolcko

Yeah, main motor went. Not too difficult to replace. Just remember to put a dab or line of glue to hold it in place.

Top Bottom