Quad Upgrading DJI F450 motors + Prop, need help choosing the right Li-po battery.

DJI F450

I have a DJI F450 that I want to upgrade, I have seen someone with similar motor/prop set-up and runs amazing.
Basically 4 new motors (ARK RC - Not Found
http://arkrc.com.au/products/SCII2215%252d1810kv-Scorpion-SII%252d2215%252d1810KV-%28V2%29.html"]link here[/URL]) each has a Max Continuous Power of 260W and a Max Continuous Current of 25 Amps. For each motor I have a 30Amps ESC. Now when it comes to the battery choice, Can I basically choose any 4s or 3s battery as long as is bigger to the motor 25A? to what order though? 10% -20% more? Also, what happens when you have 4 motors?

I basically want enough battery supply to keep my quadcopter in flight for at least 30mins with a 8" Graupner E-prop. Now I can imagine that depending on how much trottle I use you will have a different result but I just would like an approximation. Also, I'm considering maybe running two 3s or 4s Li-po batteries in parallel to increase the flight duration if that can help the battery choice.

Thanks a bunch! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Link to engine specs http://arkrc.com.au/products/SCII2215%252d1810kv-Scorpion-SII%252d2215%252d1810KV-%28V2%29.html

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
30 min is a lot to ask for. I'm running a 4s set up with nano teck 5000 35/45 and I only get 10 12 minutes or so hovering around videoing! Of course I'm not running a dji 450 I have a qav500. But still I haven't heard of anyone getting that much flight time on a quad. May be a sail plane or something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Running 2 batteries will give you a little more flight time, but much of the extra power will be consumed by the extra weight of the second battery.

DJI F450

30 min is a lot to ask for. I'm running a 4s set up with nano teck 5000 35/45 and I only get 10 12 minutes or so hovering around videoing! Of course I'm not running a dji 450 I have a qav500. But still I haven't heard of anyone getting that much flight time on a quad. May be a sail plane or something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Running 2 batteries will give you a little more flight time, but much of the extra power will be consumed by the extra weight of the second battery.

Yes true 30mins seems to be asking too much, however I've read somewhere one user could fly 40mins with a 4s 12000mah, the price of those li-po can get quite pricey though, not mention their heavy weight. I've found a LiPo 11,000 3S 40C 600g Battery for $250. That is the equivalent of two normal 4s li-po batteries but delivering 440A!

But I'm thinking I should maybe start with two 4s batteries, something like the thunder power 4s 2250mah 65C 251g battery that delivers 135A. Your provides 175A though, what is the weight of your nano teck 5000? Maybe I could start with one, see how it behaves and add a second one and check if it doesn't feel too heavy.

Thanks for your advice ! :)

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Yes true 30mins seems to be asking too much, however I've read somewhere one user could fly 40mins with a 4s 12000mah, the price of those li-po can get quite pricey though, not mention their heavy weight. I've found a LiPo 11,000 3S 40C 600g Battery for $250. That is the equivalent of two normal 4s li-po batteries but delivering 440A!

But I'm thinking I should maybe start with two 4s batteries, something like the thunder power 4s 2250mah 65C 251g battery that delivers 135A. Your provides 175A though, what is the weight of your nano teck 5000? Maybe I could start with one, see how it behaves and add a second one and chegck if it doesn't feel too heavy.

Thanks for your advice ! :)

Depending on witch one you get they are between 575 and 585g. I just looked and they have a couple in stock in the us whse.

DJI F450

Depending on witch one you get they are between 575 and 585g. I just looked and they have a couple in stock in the us whse.

I think I have a good idea of what battery I'm going to go for, the only thing that is bothering me is that I can't find anywhere what is the max Amp you can provide to 4 ESC 30A. I'm thinking of having two batteries in parallel delivering something around 350-400A continuos. Would that mean 350-400A is delivered at all times in my system? Do I need gold connectors in this case? if all motors combined take let say max 120A, would that be the max Amps running in the system at all times? I'm just confused as to what dictates how many amps run in the system, is it the motor or the battery?

I just don't want to end up burning something!

Thank you so much!
Alan

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
The only time you are going to draw max amps is at full throttle! Otherwise no. There is a tread here somewhere where this was discussed before. Not too long ago. I have no time it look for it right now. Working on my QAV so I can go fly myself in a bit! Lol.

WyDiablo

I took my Tiger MT2216-11 motors off of my F550 Hexa and stuck 4 of them on my F450 quad with 10"-4.7 props and a 3S 5000Mah battery and that thing is super fast. More speed that what I wanted to see and hear to tell the truth. As far as just hover time I did 6 minutes in a hover with that same battery and I only used 1298Mah. Too me that's a very long hover if I were to stretch it our more. I try not to really stress my batteries no matter what.

Stambo

The quad will only draw what it needs, look at it like this.
The battery is like a tank of water on your roof. When you turn the tap on it will only use what comes out of the tap.
The larger the tank, the longer that tap will run for.
The number of taps and the speed they run at defines how quickly the tank gets emptied.
Obviously with a quad, the larger the battery the longer it will run, to a point.
Eventually the extra weight will make the motors work harder using any extra capacity to get and keep the quad in the air.
This will depend on motors, prop size, frame size and weight etc.

I think 30 minutes is optimistic to say the least.
I get 12 minutes out of a 450 quad with 4s 4500.
I intend to experiment with a second battery attached but don't expect more than 18 to 20 minutes.

My quad is a very similar design to the dji 450.

Last edited:

DJI F450

Thanks a lot Stambo for the great a simple explanation ! It really helps to understand how the battery works here and clearly makes sense.

I will be using this quad manly for FPV and filming so It will be steady slow movements, nothing aggressive.

At this point now I'm just looking at the best battery within the range of 300g to allow maybe two of them and avoid going over 600g. The other option is a single battery of no more than 600g.
So far the best power / weight ratio batteries that I've seen are the Thunder Power, however they are quite hard to find here in Australia and the shipping from USA is just ridiculous.

Here are some of the best batteries I've found though

The Thunder Power 4S 14.8V 2700mAh G6 Pro Power 65C LiPo > 175.5A for 292g
FUSION 4S 14.8V 6500mAh 70C Hard Case LiPo > 455 A for 610g

I haven't read any reviews from the Fusion batteries yet, I'm a bit doubtful about their quality as they are made in China but most of batteries come China anyway so I don't think there should be any problem, they look good quality too:

4S 14 8V 6500mAh 70C Fusion Hard Case LiPo Battery Comparable w H Famous Brand | eBay

betibeau

Hi , I have more than 3 years experiences with Quads. The best lipo found these days (june 2014) are the KYPOM 4S and AMAX 4S, 3200,3700,4200 or 6000.
Quad with 20A esc, 4 x Sunnysky 2212, weight (W/o lipo 1.3 kgs) the AMAX 4S, 4200 I get +/-14mins, with the KYPOM 4S 6000 i got upto 20mins. The config of this quad has 11" propellers 'graupner e-prop clones), the frame is the original DJI 450. On my TBS (1.4kgs w/o lipo) I am getting 2 mins less. The controller on both machines are NAZA lite or M V2. The TBS discovery is fully equipped with VTX, Iosd, M V2, Mobius, ubec 5V, and a GPS tracker + 1 small 3S 1300mah as a 2nd power supply for the VTX.
Hope my 2 cents help, go with KYPOM a bit expensive, but a real comfort and pleasure. Enjoy. Thierry (Belgium). I know some nice provider in Europe, no one in Australia.

Thanks a lot Stambo for the great a simple explanation ! It really helps to understand how the battery works here and clearly makes sense.

I will be using this quad manly for FPV and filming so It will be steady slow movements, nothing aggressive.

At this point now I'm just looking at the best battery within the range of 300g to allow maybe two of them and avoid going over 600g. The other option is a single battery of no more than 600g.
So far the best power / weight ratio batteries that I've seen are the Thunder Power, however they are quite hard to find here in Australia and the shipping from USA is just ridiculous.

I haven't read any reviews from the Fusion batteries yet, I'm a bit doubtful about their quality as they are made in China but most of batteries come China anyway so I don't think there should be any problem, they look good quality too:

4S 14 8V 6500mAh 70C Fusion Hard Case LiPo Battery Comparable w H Famous Brand | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried 2 x 2200mah 45C and got more than 11mins (nanotech from HK - I do not recommand anymore , the quality is decreasing since a few months).
Another recommandation, do not use lipo under 35C, better go to 45C and not less than 3300mah 4S. Last but not least, never go under 3.5V per cell, ie. on a 4S not lestt than 14.00V. To ease your live, if you have NAZA controller, only use the top parameters (First alert) enter 14.00 in the most left box, middle box 0.00, right box 14.00, enter the same on the 2nd level alert boxes. I spend days, weeks to find a nice setup on VOltage alert params, the above work great. When the red start to flash, you still have 30secs to land. ATTENTION if you let it go lower (under 13.7 +/-) the lipo drop rapidly and most of the time you do not have to time to land safely.
Enjoy - Thierry

Top Bottom