The BEAST Flies again!

DAL2855

Banned
I finally got the 550 back into the air this afternoon! Man this bird is awesome! Wish I had the skills to fly it like it should be flown!

I'm having some issues though with the ESC, not sure what the cause of the problem is either. After flying around for about 3 min or so, If I land and shutdown, then try to spool back up to take off again it starts acting stupid. Gets about half way through the spool up and then cuts the throttle way back down low and won't completely spool up.

I'm not too sure if it's the PWM and Timing settings I was using or what. I checked the Cell voltage in the batteries to make sure it wasn't the LVC activating in the ESC. The one battery was at 3.7v on the lowest cell and the other battery was at 3.81v was the lowest cell reading. So I know it can't be the LVC activating. I have it set at 3.1v to slow down.

I had the PWM set at 12khz and 6 degrees on the timing. But after reading Paul's answer to an earlier post I made when I started the build, I have changed the PWM to 10khz and changed the timing to 18 degrees as he suggested. But won't be able to test these settings until tomorrow morning as it's already dark now. Anyone have any other suggestions as to what my problem could be?

Thanks!

DAL2855

Banned
The YEP 100a LV ESC with Align 600XL motor. I do have the MX motor ordered though. It should be here tuesday!

pvolcko

3.7v at no load is pretty much as low as I go. Under load (especially spool up) it can potentially be hitting voltage cutoff. I've had low voltage cutoff happen when I've attempted auto-rotation recovery on the CC ESC on my 550 at the end of a flight with time still on the clock. Spool up draws a lot of power which near the end of the pack will draw voltage quite low.

pvolcko

Whatever I have it set at now (default) it is already low enough that when it hits it it means my packs have puffed. I wouldn't want to set it lower, jsut that much more damage to the packs. Kind of stupid to try an auto recovery at the tail end of a pack anyway. Need to test that (or practice autos) with plenty of juice left to go. :)

heli-maniac

Thats a small battery
I had some 5000 25c sky lipos that would do that could only get 3 min. out of them they sucked
Went to some good batteries and now can get 7 min. and still only come down at 3.7 per cell
Punch Platinum 5100 35c but they cost a few pennies but you get what you pay for

DAL2855

Banned
Right now after getting everything else for this heli, I can't afford to get any new batteries. I should have the new 600MX motor monday or tuesday so I'll see what it does once it's installed. Won't be able to get any new batteries until next month. So I'll just have to fly with these until then.

DAL2855

Banned
Boy it's a good thing that I have five new servos on the way for the 550, the darn RX just went out on it and it fried all four of my Solar Servos on it. Not a single one of them will respond now. Absolutely nothing. I dunno what happened to them!

- - - Updated - - -

Atleast it was on the ground when it happened and it didn't cause a crash! I have 4 King Max HV servos and a DS610 that will be here monday, but the servo horns probably won't arrive until tues or wednesday so doesn't look like I'll be able to fly for a few days. Man this really sucks!!!!!

DAL2855

Banned
Could the PWM and Timing settings I had the ESC set too have fried the RX and Servos? Here's a pic of what happened to the RX:

PICT0004_zps17c05682.jpg

PICT0004_zps17c05682.jpg

Graham Lawrie

I had a problem with the YEP, but it was my set up. I went through the set up again as I had done the power wrong, max min limits. If you fried the servos sounds like you have had a setting wrong. Bad luck. Tonys video on the YEP set up is good:)

DAL2855

Banned
So then I wonder what happened to the RX then? It also fried the Align 3G unit too! I just plugged it into a new RX and no lights no nothing!

- - - Updated - - -

Everything was setup properly Graham, it flew just fine yesterday evening! It was set for digital servos and everything in the Align 3G unit. All I changed was some of the ESC settings that Paul had mentioned in another of my posts about setting up the ESC for PWM and Timing. So I set those to what he suggested and first time I tried to spool it up this is what happened!

Tony

Staff member
Plug a battery into that ESC and find out what the voltage is going into the Rx. Sounds like a power surge to me. I'm telling you guys, cheap parts. Just imagine what would have happened if it did this up in the air in FFF with people around. YOu get what you pay for.

DAL2855

Banned
Tony, I have this setup on a dual battery setup like you would normally setup a 12S setup. With a separate RX pack. I disconnected the power wire coming from the ESC plug into the RX and have a 3300mah 6v NiMH battery powering the RX because this particular RX can't handle the 7.4v that the Ikon will be setup with. And this is a YEP ESC which is supposed to be a good ESC.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, here's what happened to the motor:

PICT0003_zpsde99158c.jpg

PICT0004_zpse2027480.jpg

I have no idea what caused this unless the PWM and Timing settings that Paul suggested of 18 degrees of Timing and 10khz PWM this motor just could not take.

PICT0003_zpsde99158c.jpg

PICT0004_zpse2027480.jpg

Top Bottom