The BEAST Flies again!

DAL2855

Banned
Not locally no! Which really sucks! Nearest one is 45 miles away! I live out in the middle of nowhere! And not having a DL or vehicle kinda puts a really big damper on everything!

DAL2855

Banned
I removed the red power wire going into the RX plug so that I could power the RX from a separate RX pack like the normal 12S setups on the 700e birds. Because the new servos I purchased are HV servos along with the Ikon are able to handle up to 8.4v. The BEC in the ESC only has the normal 6v output.

Tony

Staff member
I'm going to have to agree with everyone here and say that you need a better iron. It's a one time investment, and it will help your soldering out LOADS! Trust me, it will!

I hate to suggest this. NO, I REALLY hate to suggest this, but you can get the Hakko knock off soldering station from hobby king for about $20. I have the Hakko 939 (I think) and it's the shiznit! But, It has the $100 price tag to prove it too. If you get a hotter soldering iron, you will be able to do these joints without melting the plastic on those deans connectors. Make sure when you are soldering deans, you plug the other side in.

Tony

Staff member
I don't like automotive style soldering irons, they are not precise enough. Do a search for Hakko and get one like that one from hobbyking. Trust me, it will help you improve your soldering.

murankar

Staff member
If they can handle 110v the just get the euro to american converter plug or you could just replace the plug.

DAL2855

Banned
Ok Tony, I just got done ordering a 60w Pencil Tip Soldering Iron and 63/37 0.8mm solder. So now I should be good too go on soldering!

Tony

Staff member
Link the one you got. You should post up a link before ordering and we can say if it's good or not.

DAL2855

Banned

DAL2855

Banned
I have tried the Rosin Core solder by itself and it didn't seem to work, but that could be because the iron was not getting hot enough, but the iron I ordered will have to do for now, but yeah I'll probably end up ordering that one Tony next month maybe. The flux won't help make it any easier Tony?

Tony

Staff member
The flux can help, I just REALLY hate the mess that it makes. It will help prep the surface for the solder to a point. The only time I use flux is if I'm doing copper pipe with a torch. And that is a torch with a flame, not a flashlight for you euro peeps lmao.

If/when my situation gets better, I will see about making a better soldering video. I have a LOT of deans plugs that I can show multiple times how to tin, then solder on. I also have some pretty big 8ga wire that I can show how to solder as well. But, it will have to be after I get settled in a new house.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah Tony, I got a feeling it's going to be fun trying to solder these wires on those 6S, 8 or 10 gauge I think, so it will definitely be a challenge!

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Yeah Tony, I got a feeling it's going to be fun trying to solder these wires on those 6S, 8 or 10 gauge I think, so it will definitely be a challenge!

they are.."HEAT" is your friend control heat at that. Anderson plugs my friend, i have them but have not yet put them on since the NITRO bird has been calling to fly most of the time.lol

Top Bottom