600 Goblin 630 Build

Lee

Don't put anything between the motor and the mount. Just put a washer or two on the screw or as Paul said, cut the screws to the correct length.
I've done this many times on various models.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Just wanted to give an update.....

I wan't able to find any washers at the house this weekend so today after work I will go get some. Since 4 screws were provided and the Scorpion only takes two, I thought I would get a grinding wheel for the dremel and try my hand at grinding the screws to the correct length. If I screw it up I will have the washers for the tww that are left and can proceed with the build. This set my timeline back a few days. I also noticed the screws for the top mainshaft bearing were stripping as I tightened them down so I ordered a pack of those and they should be here on Wednesday. This, however, will not cause a delay as they are right on top and I can replace them easily when they arrive. In addition, I noticed a little axial play in the pulley that houses the oneway bearing so I pulled the tail belt pulley back off to check the play. When I unscrewed this bolt I noticed the nylon nut was a little weak and the bolt was about to stirp out, so I will be replacing the bolt and nylon nut that holds that section together as well.

Once the motor is installed on the mounting plate, I will be ready to start the tail. This seems like a good milestone to shoot a video of my progression and some of the things I have noticed with the kit........video to follow!

pvolcko

Hope you didn't strip out the bearing block threads in the aluminum. Can't crank on that stuff too hard.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
The heads are stripping out on the screws and bolts.....my hex drivers seem to fit nice and snug and I'm not cranking down on them to hard. It's only on the two I mentioned above....I'm replaceing the belt pulley bolt primarily because I have removed it to further inspect the one way bearing and pulley and the nylon lock nut is now weak plus I am seeing slight signs of the head stripping.....just want to take care of this prior to completion when it is easy to get to the bolts and screws.

Last night I opened the tail boom box to start working on the tail assembly and this is what I found.....

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

Build is now put on hold and not because of my being lazy and wanting to sit in front of the TV with a cold beer in my hand....oh well, it is what it is. Time to email the dealer and negotiate a solution and move forward! Still sucks!!!

Anyway, I did make some progress with the motor. I used 1mm thick washers. The manual says that the bottom of the pinion gear should be 22.5mm from the bottom of the motor mount plate (not measuring from the cutout where the screws are). I set this distance and the pinion clears the screw heads. There is about 1.5 - 2mm between the screw heads and the pinion. I got some 6mm screws just in case I need to push the pinion further up when final adjustment of the drive belt is done:

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Here are pictures of my progress upto this point:

The Transmission Assembly:

IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg

The Tail Pulley belt tensioner

IMG_0552.jpg
IMG_0556.jpg
IMG_0558.jpg

Transmission Assembly Complete!

IMG_0588.jpg

Here is the Motor Assembly parts and Pics of cutting the motor shaft to length (I cut it to 30.5mm). To cut the shaft I just used a cutoff wheel on my dremel and ran it at the highest speed. I took my time as not to heat up the shaft to much. I cut about 1/3 of the way, let it cool, 1/3 more, cool, then finish. I then took a grinding stone to chamfer the cut edge a bit and smooth it out. I then followed the article by Gaba on here about how to cut the flat on the shaft. I didn't dissasemble the motor though. The flat was done with the same cutoff wheel per the article. Thanks Gaba!

IMG_0582.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0602.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg
Moter  and Mount.jpg
Moter and Mount Parts.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg
IMG_0596.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg
IMG_0600.jpg

The next step is..............................Waiting on parts................................

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

Moter  and Mount.jpg

Moter and Mount Parts.jpg

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
You should build one! This build has been fun and RC Depot Hobbies just emailed me back and told me they would send a new tail boom out today no questions asked....Didn't mention anything about charging me and I'm not askin'!!!

I guess I get to keep the borken one. Maybe I'll make a lamp out of it! :thinking:

murankar

Staff member
That would beat the leg lamp.

All I would have is the airframe. Can't afford the electonics to pit in it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

murankar

Staff member
Ok Ok yeah yeah. Come on its a goblin boom lamp. Who on earth has one? That's Right the OP.

Mean while we have leg lamps. Mine would be broke on the first night.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Lee

If you were over this side of the pond, I could repair that tail boom to near perfect. I have access to all the carbon fibre I would need, and my friend is an expert in composite materials. He's just repairing two carbon wing mirrors for a Lambourgini Aventador at the moment :D

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
If you were over this side of the pond, I could repair that tail boom to near perfect. I have access to all the carbon fibre I would need, and my friend is an expert in composite materials. He's just repairing two carbon wing mirrors for a Lambourgini Aventador at the moment :D

Man, probably be a better repair than the new one they are sending me!

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
The replacement screws/bolts arrived yesterday and I completed the transmission assembly with brand new screws/bolts......Here are pictures from my work last night! The tail boom has been delivered and I will begin work on that section tonight. It's coming together nicely, if I do say so myself. I installed the tramsission and motor assembly as well as the head. See below.....

I promised a video of my progess to this point. I will be posting that soon.....I've been to busy working on the bird!

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

A little fuel for the evening!

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Used a little scotch tape to hold the correct length while putting the rest of the head together

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

pvolcko

Looking good! Make sure that drive belt is riding with even space on the transmission gear above and below the belt. Adjust the pinion on the motor as necessary to get it centered on the driven gear.

Top Bottom