My New Project

Heliman450

I've also included the Geolink in my purchase of electronics. Currently, my DC-14 has the basic 8 channels so from what you say I'll probably need to boost my channels as part of the project, too. Good job that I had the opportunity to boost my hobby fund over the last 2 years of work :twothumbsup:

I'm not really stuck at the moment, just going through all that's necessary to bring everything up to date. I even had to update the drivers on my Jeti Adapter for the USB connection to my Rx. I'm not under any pressure yet, simply taking my time and enjoying the time getting back into my version of the hobby. If I get stuck, I'll ask questions in the relevant forum and include a link from here:chickendance:

Heliman450

Hi all,

Transferred to the hobby room for the next phase. The canopy does fit over the preliminary batteries' orientation and wiring routes. Just need to confirm when the tail's fitted that nothing clashes before starting the soldering.

Attachments

• Canopy_01.jpg
    Canopy_01.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 7

Admiral

Your making progress Heliman, it's hard to judge the size of it when you realise that there is room for 4 x 5000mAh batteries under that canopy

Brick

I had to go to you tube, to see exactly what a Velos 880 looked like. WOW.... that is ALOT of Helicopter .

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Heliman 450. That's a beautiful bird and expensive one at that. I know you don't plan to do this :twak:

Heliman450

Not sure if I understand your use of the term 'house washer'. I'm on a journey towards a scale-sized heli Baubericht SA 315 B "Lama" Turbine - Maßstab 1:4 this will cost between 3-4 times the price of the 880 so the price of this model is not my main consideration, it's the challenge involved in building it even if it means that it could be difficult to source parts in future. RC-Help has much expertise and I also have people around me who are ready and willing to help, too.

Smoggie

Keep the build pics coming. I was seriously considering the 880 myself a while back, but decided against it when Velos discontinued it. Not a cheap heli for sure but there are more expensive hobbies out there, and at the end of the day you can’t take it with you:biglaugh:
Turbine power interests me a lot, awesome technology

Heliman450

Ah! Ha! I promise to watch the included videos next time.... I suppose that shows why the company decided to make the switch to UAV only and abandon the hobby market. I've seen a much more efficient UAV for spraying houses than the 880.

He's got a better idea for the landing gear. I think that the original isn't strong enough to take a heavy landing of a 10kg heli. Hugo's demo was broken at least twice that I'm aware of. He told me it was from not being properly secured in his van during transport, even so, not strong enough to resist that impact.

Making progress but very slow due to the overall depression caused by the COVID-19 situation. I sensed it from my associates during my last few working days from home. I wonder how many businesses will survive the actions taken to reduce its spread.

murankar

Staff member
The switch are because of the dieing market. The heli stuff is slowly dieing because of the UAV market. Then add on all the flying restrictions. The UAV market is doing way better right now.

Heliman450

Interesting point, however, in my local hobby shop I think that the heli side is declining as the RC Car side picks up and they are supporting it with an indoor race track etc. The cars are also already in contact with the ground and don't need such a significant sum of money to fix when they do crash. It makes them a better prospect for presents from parents and grandparents.

To keep on the thread..... I got my reply from Velos Rotors this morning, much better content :hdbng:. I'm awaiting a clarification before confirming my order for a reasonable 'service pack' to make the shipping cost worthwhile. Fingers crossed! Meanwhile I just ordered up 8 x 5200mAh batteries (OUCH! :biglaugh:).

Heliman450

Latest update is that the parts are on their way. No idea what that means in delivery time during the COVID-19 situation.

In the meantime, a few photos of a build issue with the servo mounts, they've been drilled and tapped from the wrong side. That assumes that the instructions are correct with the orientation. I checked in the internet and another 880 (the house cleaner) has them the same way as the instructions. I ran the tap through them and all 16 had excess swarf on the mounting side, one was only threaded about half way and needed to be cut properly. I need the parts to be able to test assemble the swash plate and links before going further.

Attachments

• Servo_01.jpg
    Servo_01.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Servo_02.jpg
    Servo_02.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Servo_03.jpg
    Servo_03.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 5

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Glad to here your parts are on the way Heliman450. Just one thing, don't get me wrong. That's a beautiful bird but I wouldn't be too happy with Velos rotors. It's bad enough that you were missing parts for the money you spent on that bird but now the servo mounts are drilled and tapped from the wrong side. Good thing you have the talent to fix it but it just makes me wonder about that company.

Heliman450

Hi D.O.G. I went through that phase already. The instructions show the servos being fitted without any rubber mountings, I'm fitting the servos with the mountings. This will alter the position of the ball a little but I need all the parts assembled to check out the alignment of the links. The parts are tracked as being in KORINTHOS - TAX/RES ELTA since 22.04.20 wherever that is.

I always wanted to build a kit-car when I was a youngster but didn't have the money. Now I've got the money and can overcome challenges without laying on my back in the garage :biggrin1:

Top Bottom