500 Align Trex 500-XT

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well that stink. Sorry for the failure. This bird has been giving you a hard time for a while now. Hopefully you don't get discourage. Put her back together again and give the old college try :thinking:

Rob Lancaster

Hi guys, while i'm waiting on parts. I've formulated a theory as to what caused the (cato), catastrophe at take off...........
I think after some simulated takeoffs with my simulator, the control style (purple), on the Beast is still to sensitive. And during spool-up, if any control input is needed, watch out! Next time around I think I should set the control style to solid blue, (tx mode).. Then dial in around 35 to 40% EXPO in the TX. Your thoughts on this theory...

Do you guys know what I mean about taking off with a flybarless system, right? It's a different feel than a fly bared system. Or is it just me? Tell me, I can take it.. :biggrin1:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hi guys, while i'm waiting on parts. I've formulated a theory as to what caused the (cato), catastrophe at take off...........
I think after some simulated takeoffs with my simulator, the control style (purple), on the Beast is still to sensitive. And during spool-up, if any control input is needed, watch out! Next time around I think I should set the control style to solid blue, (tx mode).. Then dial in around 35 to 40% EXPO in the TX. Your thoughts on this theory...

Do you guys know what I mean about taking off with a flybarless system, right? It's a different feel than a fly bared system. Or is it just me? Tell me, I can take it.. :biggrin1:
Control style should be blue and correct on dialing the expo. Yes, there will be some différance in FBL vs FB, so it's not you. You will also have a different feel from flying simulator vs real flight. Just take your time and get the feel of it...it will come to you. Good luck and keep us posted.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I've been trying to find my notes on this. Many years ago, I spoke with a Micobeast engineer if you will. He gave me all the information on the presets. In Normal control style, there is about 50% expo and lots of reduced rates. So, the normal setting should never be too sensitive even for a new pilot. So set the control style to "transmitter" and add the expo to your liking and reduce the rates a bit but the normal preset should have been fine IMO. Remember this, do not give any cyclic input while the model is on the ground. Any fbl controller can only control the model when it's in the air. Also, strap on some training gear before testing next time, I still do this for testing, and I've been flying since 1984. Good luck.

Rob Lancaster

Wow, normal has about 50% expo, yeah that should've been enough, hummm.. Ok, about the initialization procedure. I always (when at home) set the heli on my workbench to initialize it. After its done going through its Cylon mode, and the led is a solid blue, I'll walk it to the backyard and set it on the grass. Next up, I set the throttle/pitch, to about 48% and flight mode to normal. Now comes the scary part. I flip off the throttle hold, that is to say, I turn off the throttle hold, and she spools up very slowly. After the blades get some speed on them, that's when sometimes she starts to tilt. So I naturally try to compensate. And we all knows what can happen next.

Question time.
Should I only power up the heli at the point of takeoff, without touching the cyclic? Like you mentioned? Would that prevent the tilting around on spool up? Oh, I forgot, I check all flight controls before I move the heli to the back. So that means I moved the cyclic before spool up. Confused yet, ha.. Or do you mean simply don't move the cyclic during spool up at all no matter what?

Also should I remove the 100% DR in the TX when in normal mode on the Beast?

I think I want to keep the normal setting in the Beast for now. Oh hey, the parts shipped today, hurray! ........

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well, the swash should be level when the helicopter spools up. Checking flight controls before spooling up is fine. BE SURE the swash is trying to stay level when tilting the helicopter by hand. (Correcting in the right directions). Look at it this way, if you give a cyclic command while on the ground the controller can't tilt the helicopter so it will keep trying until it gets light enough on the skids and then tip over. And again, zero sub trim, 100% travel while in any preset control style. This link took me 20 minutes to find but found it. Been a minute since I read it. Some good stuff for you to read regarding tilting over. #6. Hope it helps.

Rob Lancaster

Well, the swash should be level when the helicopter spools up. Checking flight controls before spooling up is fine. BE SURE the swash is trying to stay level when tilting the helicopter by hand. (Correcting in the right directions). Look at it this way, if you give a cyclic command while on the ground the controller can't tilt the helicopter so it will keep trying until it gets light enough on the skids and then tip over. And again, zero sub trim, 100% travel while in any preset control style. This link took me 20 minutes to find but found it. Been a minute since I read it. Some good stuff for you to read regarding tilting over. #6. Hope it helps.

Yes, yes!! this was very helpful..
With that said, it's look'n like pilot error because of inexperience. Ok right, now we're get'n somewhere.. lol...
Thanks again for all the input and I'll keep you in the loop...

Rob Lancaster

Ok, if this picture ever gets out, I'll be so shame...
If anyone asks, just say, it's a RF beam antenna used in the field.. Yeah, yeah, that's it, an antenna. That's my story and i'm stickin to it... Haiku style............. :bellyroll: Can't wait for the parts to come in...

Attachments

• Training Wheels.JPG
    Training Wheels.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 7

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I hope you don't get offended but please tell me that NOT your training wheels? Your asking for trouble.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Maybe you should have some wiffle balls on the ends? The points can catch the ground. Makes for a bad day:nightmare:

Rob Lancaster

Maybe you should have some wiffle balls on the ends? The points can catch the ground. Makes for a bad day:nightmare:
You know, I thought about that, but thought, I'll add them if anyone says I better. And sure enough, I'd better modify this setup or maybe just maybe buy a set. Hummm....

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
You know, I thought about that, but thought, I'll add them if anyone says I better. And sure enough, I'd better modify this setup or maybe just maybe buy a set. Hummm....
Also instead of a tic tac toe style training wheels you should try an X style. Just a thought.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
My self I made mine with metal coat hangar, if you can find them, with ping pong balls at the end.

Top Bottom