Official Phoenix Online Thread

Tony

Staff member
Not sure if anyone on here is still subscribed to this thread, but if so, we are online now. I didn't bring my Tx in (found out after creating the session lol) so I'm just hosting it and can provide any help that you may need within the sim. Hope to see you there.

North America
Room: RcHelp
Password: rchelp

Derek

I really need to get back on the sim. My work schedule has been very demanding over these past few months.

2 years ago, my Dad expressed an interest in flying with me (planes only, lol) so I encouraged him to buy a Hobbyzone Delta Ray BNF. I sold him my spare DX6i. Then he asked about the Phoenix Sim...So I bought it for him. He and I have only been on it a few times because my work schedule conflicts with EVERYTHING but I'm hoping to have much more flying time available to me and more sim time.

bigone5500

I downloaded discord on my phone and will be using it tomorrow. I'm hoping it works well. This way I know there will be no interference from other audio sources. I'll see what happens.

Tony

Staff member
I thought you were going to use those new fancy headphones? lmao.

On a side note, since this was bumped up, we will be "trying" to use Phoenix on the live stream since AccuRC has a horrible multiplayer mode at this time. Really hoping they fix this issue. But Phoenix it is for now until I can get the cash for RealFlight 7.5 or even 8, maybe.

Tony

Staff member
I'm trying to get the sim running in preparation for Sim Sunday but having an issue with the "Master Server". Can anyone try to go online with the sim and tell me if you are getting an error just logging in to look at the online rooms?

Tony

Staff member
Dammit!! Okay, let me see if I can find a work around. Even if I have to setup my own server (if I can). ugh...

Tony

Staff member
Nope. That is what is going to make this so difficult. It's too good of a flight simulator for Rc to just let it die... I would gladly host a server for our own Sim Sundays.... I just have to figure out how to make that happen.

bigone5500

Instead of linking to the post, I'll just copy it here. This is from helifreak forum.

For anyone who is interested, this is how I set up my Linux server for Phoenix

I had to do it this way as the Phoenix server application would not work with my router.
I was visible on PhoenixNet but nobody could connect to me.
I tried with ports 9000-9005 open (UDP) and also through a DMZ with no luck.

This however works fine:-

Basically I have a Server running Ubuntu Linux which has 2 network cards.
One (eth0 ) is set up to obtain ip addresses via DHCP and is connected to the Cable Modem.
The other (eth1) has a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1 and is connected to a standard network Hub.

[Cable Modem]===eth0(DHCP)[Linux Server]eth1(192.168.0.1)===[HUB]===[Windows Client PC]

I have installed a DHCP daemon on the server so that hosts connected the the hub can obtain IP addresses via DHCP.
I have also set up Internet Sharing and a basic firewall using IPtables.

Server Setup
~~~~~~~~~~~~

ubuntu uses sudo for route access instead of allowing you to login as root.
root login can be allowed as follows :-

sudo passwd root
enter a password for root access.

iptables was setup as follows:-

logged on as "root", I first created a folder /etc/iptables and then created a rules file called iptables.rules
in this folder as follows :-

su root
enter root password

mkdir /etc/iptables
cd /etc/iptables/
gedit iptables.rules

I then entered the following in this file:-

# Generated by iptables-save v1.3.6 on Mon Oct 15 01:03:52 2007
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [24:3742]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [235:20135]
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK SYN -j DROP
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 0 -j DROP
-A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1 -j DROP
-A INPUT -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j DROP
COMMIT
# Completed on Mon Oct 15 01:03:52 2007
# Generated by iptables-save v1.3.6 on Mon Oct 15 01:03:52 2007
*nat
:pREROUTING ACCEPT [406:22899]
:pOSTROUTING ACCEPT [2:250]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [2:250]
-A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
COMMIT
# Completed on Mon Oct 15 01:03:52 2007

This will give you a very secure firewall with Internet connection sharing.

change file permissions as folows :-

chmod 755 /etc/iptables/iptables.rules

now install the DHCP daemon :-

As root enter the following:-

apt-get update
apt-get install dhcp

using gedit, edit the file /etc/dhcpd.conf and make sure it is as follows:-

# DHCP configuration
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
option routers 192.168.0.1;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option domain-name-servers 194.168.4.100, 194.168.8.100;
option ip-forwarding off;
range dynamic-bootp 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.254;
default-lease-time 21600;
max-lease-time 43200;
}

Note the Above domain-name-servers are for my NTL connection. you will have to change these for your isp's

See list here for help:-
http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cg...num=1115416655

or try the command :-

dig | grep SERVER

All that remains now is to set up your interfaces and to make sure the iptables script runs at boot up.
you can do this as follows:-

as root, edit your /etc/network/interfaces file with gedit to be as follows:-

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
pre-up /sbin/iptables-restore < /etc/iptables/iptables.rules

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

Now Reboot your machine to enable changes

You should now be able to connect a machine to the hub and have Internet access on that machine.

Now the easy bit ( getting Phoenix server running on the server ).

As Phoenix dedicated server is a windows program you will have to install a program that allows it to be run in linux called Wine.
Install as follows:-

set user to root as above then type:-

apt-get update
apt-get install wine

On your windows machine you will need to install Phoenix, all updates and Phoenix server.
This will install into the directory C:\Program Files\PhoenixRC
Copy the C:\Program Files\PhoenixRC directory and its contents onto a CD or memory stick.

Now copy the phoenixRC folder onto your linux server into the directory /home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/Program Files
(notice the dot before wine)
when done, Right-Click on the /home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/phoenixRC folder and select "Make Link".
Drag this link to your desktop. You can then click on this link to open the folder then double click on phoenixServer.exe
to run the server.

Don't be tempted to create a link on your desktop directly to phoenixServer.exe as when it runs, it will not pick up
the available flying sites.

Note: The reason for copying the whole phoenix installation to the server is because the dedicated Phoenix server
application uses certain files in the PhoenixRC folder.

That's it. It takes a little time to set up but being linux, you will have a rock solid and secure server.

When you run Phoenix on your Host machine and select multiplayer you should now see your server twice, In the Lan
section and in the Internet section.

Select your server in the Lan section and your away.

Ubuntu linux is free and can be downloaded here Get Ubuntu | Download | Ubuntu

Have Fun

TasKiNG ( Dragonflies Linux Server )

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
I'm thinking that was his way of him getting onto the phoenix server and interacting with others. I think he still had to connect to the "Master Server". However, I will fire up a VM and give this a go. If it works, that would be awesome, but from what I see, I'm not holding my breath. I don't think this is going to create a "Master Server".

So, I guess Sim Sunday tonight is not going to happen. That really sucks because Geena just installed Phoenix on her hubby's lappy to get on with us tonight. I love it when companies just shut down leaving everyone who has invested in them hanging..... Kind of pisses me off a little bit.... Now to find a way around all of that... I did find some files that may help on their public server. I'm downloading all of them now, but their server is stupid slow....

Tony

Staff member
Working on the server a little for the moment. Not holding my breath. Even if I do get it working, I would have to wait for my new internet to set it public. My internet now just can't handle it.

Tony

Staff member
I would be up to that. Going to be a while though. Some things are just not playing correctly under ubuntu. I don't know this distro like I do CentOS so it's a little confusing. The only reason I'm using Ubuntu is because I can't install wine on CentOS. You need wine in order to run windows programs in a linux environment, so I had to go with Ubuntu. Working out the kinks.

Top Bottom