Rch flight log

cml001

Got 5pks in on the 130x.. Had fun in the confines if the yard... Tail must be rebuilt... All gears and then entire tail needs replacing as there is way too much vib.. I can see fault with all of tail.. Soo.. Mo money mo money mo money!

pvolcko

Marked 5 flights tonight. 3 on the 550X and 2 on the TRex 700. Great stuff. Light wind with infrequent moderate gusts. 55 degrees. Sun. Georg.

550X is feeling great now with the roll rate changes I made. Much better balance between rudder and ail/ele rates. Starting to do constant flips, slow and moderate rate, and correcting for position side to side without breaking the flips. For the moment only correcting on upright phase, but will start working inverted phase into it. Not yet correcting forward/back on continuous rolls. Half piro flips are looking much better. Still need to work on top half only and holding inverted, but the overall maneuver is looking much more balanced now and not losing altitude as much as before unless I purposely leave the negative pitch out of it while inverted. Working slow small loops and rolls as well. Good for learning collective control through a maneuver as well as flying through the up and down phases for direction. Lastly, did my first hurricane tonight. About 15 ft up. I didn't have it properly positioned in front of me, but I started a big wide, high bank angle, high collective turn and decided to hold it through a full circle with the left side of it ending right in front of me and finishing pretty much where I started it. CCW flight. Went surprisingly well. I tried on a CW attempt but had to bail out. For some reason I have a problem managing rudder through CW high bank turns, even when going away from me. NEed to work on them more before hurricanes in that direction.

TRex 700: These were the first flights on this for the season. Oh, I missed this heli. I forgot how floaty 700's can be. Tic tocs were slow due to my current setup in the ikon on this one, but I was controlling them well and moving to mini rainbows with popped stops on each end. Also did a 15-20ft auto-rotation landing for the first time tonight with it. Went great. Need to snap up the flight mode setting on this one.

Trying out a new battery on the 550X tonight too, to replace the horrifically crappy turnigy nanotech pack I had for this one. Eco Power brand from A Main Hobbies, if I remember right. 5000mah pack, 6S. Orange wrapping. Rated at 60C (highly doubt it's an honest 60C). Looks and feels much like a 45C pulse pack in terms of weight and dimensions. Guessing the same cell supplier. So far so good.

pvolcko

Wow... So I got news of being laid off last Thursday. Been in a funk since so I haven't been flying despite excellent weather for it. I'm starting to emerge from the funk as a path forward takes shape and decided to take the 550X out for a flight.

I frikin rocked it. Felt great. tic tocs (ail both sides and ele tail down). Pushout and in rainbows with pop stops at the ends. stationary rolls/flips. half piros. Big air backwards loops fully controlled throughout with direction correction throughout. INverted nose in and tail in hovers. All strung together with minimal breaks and setup between things. Actually almost no setup, just did things where I was and then if I needed to move I'd do it via controlled flips/rolls, rainbows, or difference in loop start/stop position. I so wish I had it on camera. It was practically a flight routine.

murankar

Staff member
That's what it's all about. Getting out and let it flow. Great job but you know the rules. I think we can let slide for now, next though you may need some video.

Go out and have a great time and enjoy your hobby.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Stambo

Put a couple of batteries through my night quad last night.
I just changed from 8x4.5 to 9x4.7 props on 1000kv motors.
I also put a 12v ubec on to run the lights direct from the flight battery instead of carrying a small 2s.
The lights are 12v strips and are much brighter. I can see my orientation further away than I can in daylight now.
I was getting flight times of around 14 minutes to put 4000mah back in to my 5000mah Zippy Compact 4s lipo's.
Last night I ran 15 minutes on my second battery and only put back 3500mah.
I will now increase my timer slowly to see how far I can extend the flight times.
The combination of the bigger props and not carrying the extra battery seems to have paid off big time. :)

pvolcko

Ugh! I had the camera on, card in, hit record. Beeped. And flew a trex 700 flight with some new roll and piro rates. Flew some good half piro flips, tail down tic tocs (held them about 10ft up and 20ft out!), stationary flips and rolls... Another good flight. Unusual 700 flight in the back yard.

So why am I posting it here? Because it didn't record! Argh!

Something screwed up with the gopro where it didn't load the card properly. Working now. Hopefully the weather is good and I can get a good flight in tomorrow.

pvolcko

Been putting on some flights the last couple days. Great weather. Today I flew the 550X and Gob 500. Still tuning in the Ikon on the Gob 500. Piro rate is good, but the cyclic roll rate is still a bit fast. Another flight or two and I think I'll have it. My goal is to get a good match to my 550X and then have a "woah!" bank setting to switch to when I really want to lay on some super fast rolls/flips, etc. and for when I finally get my tictocs nailed at the more moderate roll rates I'll have a switch position to move up to.

So practice on tictocs (mostly elevator, tail down, skids out): Went well on the 550X. I'm taking a slower approach with this heli on this manever, actively stopping the heli in a relatively slow controlled tic toc. And then speeding up a bit each flight. On the Gob 500... due to the roll rate being a bit too fast it was too enticing to do these slow so I was trying to rip them out fast while trying to keep collective as light as possible. Various success. On one attempt, though, I kept creeping closer and closer to myself (skids out, blades in). It got about 12ft away and and 10ft off the ground! I did a negative push out to get it away from me. Little too close for comfort. :) But it looked and sounded cool. Spectators thought I was in total control. :)

Half piro flips: On both the goblin and 550X I spent most of my half-piro flip time doing relatively slow piro rate half-piro flips. It is definitely more challenging, but more rewarding too. Being able to rip out some ultra quick piro flips is cool, but I think there is a lot to be said for a nice slow, controlled, floating piro flip too. So I started to get this nailed pretty well today, particularly on the 550X (again goblin's too fast cyclic roll rate was screwing thing things a bit). I was actually doing three half-piro flips in succession, holding altitude fairly well, but tending to slide left a bit with each flip (not getting to zero collective at the right time in the maneuver). I also practiced my right piro flips (I have been focused on left piros since it feels more comfortable) and did pretty well. They aren't nearly as clean as the left piro flips, but I got the stir correct most of the time and they weren't a total mess.

Hurricanes: Still doing these 75ft up. But I tried clockwise in addition to my usual counter clockwise. Also played around more with using rudder during it to control flight path and also varying elevator and collective to tighten or widen them. Need a lot more work on these before I'm going to start bringing them down to ground more. But progress.

Slow ail and ele loops: Doing these forward, backward, left and right and starting to do some side in elevator loops. I'm really enjoying this practice. Learning a lot about collective management through a maneuver, using collective to fight wind, correcting for left/right drift at various points in the loops, etc. Big huge loops are fun, but they are also a bit easy and don't require fine tuned corrective skills (unless you're trying to fly perfect circles and set maneuver type aerobatics). The small slow loops though, practically floating in speed and no larger than 10ft in diameter, I'm finding to be challenging and requiring a lot of control. Great warm up maneuver and also good for making sure expo is set well once you start cranking up the cyclic roll rates.

I'm going to fly some more tomorrow in the back yard (was at the club field today) and will get some video. Hopefully my improvement doesn't evaporate overnight. :)

Stambo

Really enjoying flying at night, gonna have to do some more vids when the weather is right, and I have a moon as backdrop so you can actually see movement in relation to something fixed.
After trying the 9x4.7 props and getting 15 minute flights, I thought I would go one bigger. I had some 10x4.5s lying around so I stuck them on.
Extended the flight time out to 17 minutes and put 3985 mah back in a 5000 mah battery.
Motors and ESCs are just warm to the touch after a flight and it is so much quieter.
It is a bit less responsive to full throttle but it is still way fast enough for me.
If I ever want to get a bit more aggressive flight, I can always put the 9s back on.
This was obviously way under propped on 8x4.5s.
Night flying adds a whole new perspective and it makes situational awareness so much more important.
With all the trees around here I think I might need some super bright headlights soon. (They are on their way from Banggood :))
Hmmm FPV at night could be fun too. :)

Slobberdog

Well I have just done 2 packs through the 250, these were the first packs to be used apart from one pack hovering in the garden to set gain, had two nice flights as well,

The MKS tail servo is cracking fair play, no wag at all, very responsive and no funny business when coming to an abrupt stop out of a piro, I have to say the tail now feels very solid,

Stambo

Put several batteries through the little Hobbyzone Champ on the weekend and a few through the 450 "Night Quad" too.
The Champ is a great little airplane.
I think it will be around as a trainer for others once I get bored with it, it is so easy to fly.
I wonder if a bigger plane with ailerons is gonna be this easy, only time will tell. :)
I also wonder if the ease at which I have picked up fixed wing flight so far has a lot to do with being really familiar with my TX due to countless hours flying quads.

As for night flight, I am lovin it. :)
Over here anyway, it tends to be so calm at night.
And with the lights all over the quad, orientation is easier than in daylight.

Apart from overheating my tractor, I had a good weekend. :)

cml001

So I got to fly the last 3 days.. 450dfc & 130x... The blade was typical.. Had a blast w the 450 tho! Took several flight to get my cc edge 50 set the way I wanted.. Very pleased.. So tonight.. Went for a pack of smokes after grill and hang w family & friends.. 845.. Augusta nationals parking field right by my house.. Put her in the air.. Lost orientation.. Smacked the ground and ground & skuffd up my new canopy & ESC... I'm pissed... I told myself it's too damn dark.. But nooo.. I flew anyway.. LAME!

cml001

Well.. landing skid, main shaft, couple links, main gear.. And blades of course.. All parts on hand... She live to fight another day... May go ahead a stretch her to 360.

sarconastic

Mother nature has not been complying with flight time here lately. Either Too windy, or too rainy. Flew 4 batteries through the V911 on Friday night. Wokrd on the 450 setup on Sat and a little Sunday. Getting real close to a maiden hover on it. Then got the V912 out on Sunday afternoon. Have to spend some time with it one day. Needs a complete setup. Doesn't fly half as good as the 911 after I went clear through it. Left my mark onteh neighbors house, WHite vinyl siding a small gust of wind and now there are zebra striped on the garage siding. My MCPx should be here today with the DX6i. really looking forward to flying it soon.

Woody

Lee

10 flights yesterday
8 on the Warp and 2 on the Goblin.
I need more batteries for the Goblin :(

Stambo

Got to finally put the new AXN in the air again. The weather finally cooperated but I had my son for the weekend so I could not spend too much time flying.
He was thrilled to watch "Daddys new plane" for one flight on Saturday and one on Sunday.
After I dropped him back to his mother on Sunday afternoon I put her up for a 15 minute flight.
Really starting to enjoy flying this thing and I am now wondering just how much flight time I will get.
After 15 minutes flight I put 489 mah back into my 1800 mah battery.
I am thinking 35 to 40 minutes, although flight is really slow and mild at the moment.
I will keep extending my flight times as my confidence increases.
I am really looking forward to FPV on this plane. :)

Top Bottom